Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have an oil change coming up. I have read a few articles on ZMax engine additive. Has anyone used ZMax? Is it worth it?

Thanks

·
on line
139 Posts
I have yet to hear any legit positive remarks about the product. The consensus seems to be that it's a waste of money.

The company that makes it doesn't have the most respectable track record. While this doesn't necessarily prove anything either way, you may want to at least skim over it a bit:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm

I'd guess that it will have about the same effect on your engine as one of those Tornado products that goes before your intake, or maybe one of those electric superchargers you can plug in to increase your horsepower.

D-Rock

·
on line
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just throwing it out there.. I watched a show that was singing its praises (i know zmax probably paid for the product placement) and was curious.. I was wondering if anyone out there had used the product and noticed any positive results. thanks for the responses!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I will never use an oil additive. Just change your oil regularly, check your oil regularly and all will be good.

·
on line
279 Posts
No additives. Ever. You'll do more harm than good and waste your money in the process. Just use a quality oil and follow reasonable intervals. Again, more of the 'pound of cure' for a problem that doesn't exist...

There's a reason that NONE of these products are endorsed by manufacturers or mechanics that aren't paid to do so. They are unnecessary and introduce elements that were never taken into account in your vehicle's design.

·
on line
142 Posts
I am enjoying the thoughts on this one. I have only used oil additive on a '92 honda civic with 160,000 mi on it, and yes it did slow down the burning of oil. But I would not recommend it. There is no reason to introduce a foreign substance to quality oil. Period. Quality brand oils are designed to perform and do their job as advertised without help. So I do not believe oil crud is required in newer vehicles. It's just a band aid for whatever.

·
on line
652 Posts
I just watched a show on this product on TruckU

They went to the factory and had a piece of cast iron on a heat plate heated to 190 deg. the temp of your motor oil in a running engine.
They put a drop of Zmax in a indention in the cast iron and as the show went on they checked the progression of the zmax thru the block. And yes it was creeping into the cast iron. Well whoopididoshit. Cast iron is porus and it will wick almost every liquid Some trucks have cast diff covers and you can see the oil on them.
They say by creeping into the metal it aids in lubrication? Well that maybe worth something but there is not a lot of cast parts in your motor. Will it creep into steel? hardend steel? Hardend steel has a very tight grain structure so i am less likely to believe it. They do say that you add it on top of a full crankcase. so it does go somewhere. but where? does it flash off? they said you have to use it continually to stay protected. Every 6000 mile thats 35 bucks every 6000 miles
They also said it would take a 1000 miles to get into the motor as it would only creep into hot metal. In my opinion if they put a drop in a cold block as well it would have creeped at a similar rate.

Try it and if you feel it works then your one up on us on wear

I will say that in the late 80's I was sold on slick 50 you added it to your oil and drove and then added more oil because the 50 "stuck to your motor" It is no longer like that. Now you just add the 50 and no need to top up.
I poured a quart in my 88 VW Jetta and drove 750 miles 12 hrs. staight to ohio and avg. 38 mpg the best I ever got was 32 before. I added oil at gas stops along the way. I had 103000 on the jetta
I didn't get a chance to check the mpg ever again because bought a new gti for the ride home
Believe it or not

1 - 13 of 13 Posts