Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Intro Comments: Alright, I've been lurking on this site for entirely too long. I've made a few failed attempts of posting a thread detailing my rig so here goes nothing.

Username: ath211

Make: Nissan
Year: 2005
Model: Xterra
Trim: Off Road
Color: Night Armor

The following is the most up to date parts list of what’s currently installed (8/21/14) on my rig. My build is called ZERO2HERO because it transformed from stock to the biggest X at my first meet and greet all in a couple months time.

MODS

ENGINE:
Centerforce dual friction clutch
Gibson exhaust
Cold air intake with custom chain seating

SUSPENSION:
Rancho 4” Titan lift kit
Radflo 2.5" extended length coilovers with 700lb springs
PRG upper control arms
PRG lower control arms
PRG adjustable rear shackles
custom built rear Radflo shocks
25" ride height - 15” compressed & 32” extended *ERROR **Need to confirm numbers
PRG u-bolt flip kit and u-bolt billet blocks
Spring Over Axle Conversion with new perch mounts

DRIVETRAIN:
m205 w/ARB locker & Superior 4.56 gears
Cardone select titan half axles
SKF titan hubs
Stoptech titan rotors
Moog steering titan inner and outer tie-rods
PRG tie rod extensions
M226 stock rear diff w/e-locker & Superior 4.56 gears
1.5" rear wheel adapters
PRG extended front brake lines
Drive shaft: converted rear to 1350 u-joints to match Dana 44 (variant) pinion yoke 29 spine – measuring 34” eye to eye

INTERIOR:
Kenwood DN990HD w/Garmin navi & parrot Bluetooth
denim insulation above bluetooth mic
Wet Akole seat covers front and rear
Weather tech digital floor liners

EXTERIOR:
Shrockworks front bumper
Shrocksworks rear bumper with tire carrier and hi lift mount
Shrockworks rock sliders
Shrockworks transfer case skid
Shrockworks engine/ oil pan skid
Shrockworks fuel tank skid
Shrockworks transmission skid
Dephep roof rack
Gobi ladder

TIRES / WHEELS:
315/75R18 (35”X12.5”x18R) BFG KM2
08’ stock titan wheels with added Powertank monster valves

ELECTRICAL:
Dual Odyssey PC1400 batteries in Trail Gear battery box
National Luna intelligent solenoid dual battery monitor
40” Baja Designs stealth light bar
Mean Green Alternator
Power Inverter & 2 additional outlets
OTRATTW switches

ON BOARD AIR SYSTEM (UPDATED):
Pair of Air Zenith OB2 compressors
8lb custom air tank
Train horns

20lb Power tank
Powertank pro series XD400 regulator
Powertank air guage/tire inflator/deflator
Monster Valves

RECOVERY GEAR:
Warn Zeon 10-S
Hi-lift jack w/offroad base, lift mate & wabfab offroad slider adapters
Warn snatch block
10' tree saver x2.
10’ & 30’ tow straps
50' synthetic winch line extension.
Stihl MS 192 tc chainsaw
Fiskers x15 & x25

SPECIFICATIONS:
Wheel Travel Clearance:
13.75” ground clearance from lowest portion of sub frame
10.75" to lowest point of LCA
Rear end:8" uptravel/compression and 9" downtravel/droop
42" ground to front fenders (front Radflo’s can go up another 2”)
43" ground to rear fender (stock leaf spring pack)

Current Milage: 14.68 MPG

Bought my 05' six speed, night armor, off road X about three years ago. Long story short, came across this web site, scoured listings for the exact specs I was looking for and bought a one way ticket to Ohio once I found her. It was a Craigslist ad believe it or not and the kicker is I flew into Ohio on Martin Luther King day, DMV was closed so I did what any rational minded person would have done. I drove that SOB six hours straight home without any license plates, passed two cops that I know of the entire time and parked it in my buddies field for two days until I could get plates for her. The rest is history.

PHOTOS

Not too many pics of her stock but here she was in all her glory.

Don’t have a pic but the first official mod was weather tech floor mats.

Followed by a close second were the extended roof bars. Bought a crazy long closet bracket of sorts to retrofit my roof rack for more boats, cut that sucker in half and fastened it down with some u-bolts. Grinded the excess threads off and voila!

About a year and a half after I got my X I took it to the dealership for a slew of warranty issues. Got a brand new catalytic converter, two fuel level sending units and whatever else was bad at the time, totaling close to $3,000 for free, gotta love that. Just my style though, I was at 79K miles when the work was done. This was all 80K mile warranty issues…Amen.

Big moment in her history. Here she is rolling 100k, bought it with 64k on it.

Here’s a couple pics of my parts…gathered them all in VA and installed them onto the truck out here in OR.

Here are a few pics of the build process.

Here she is finished, well for the time being. I’m learning it’s a never ending process

And last but not least the behind the scenes parts that make the truck what it is.

Odyssey Dual Batteries

National Luna Dual Battery Controls

Baja Designs 40” stealth light bar (16900 lumens)

20lb Powertank (complete with Monster valves on all wheels)

Eclipse DN990HD head unit with Bluetooth & Garmin Nav

DepHep & Gobi

Here she is next to a stock 2014 Pro4X

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah I finally got this picture thing figured out so that helped with the post. I'll have to clean it up a bit but theres more to come. Soon enough I'll have some wheeling pics up.

I'm real stoked to be out in Oregon and to have met everyone at the Thirsty Lion. Already been in contact with Jason about a skid plate transfer in a couple weeks. Looking forward to meeting more members and doing some exploring.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Updated my original closet cross bars to the Thule 78" load bars. Just had my buddies Chris and Derrick weld up these cross bar brackets for me. Stoked on the quick disconnect pins.

Plan to swap the 78s out for some 36-40" cross bars for the winter

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
NEW UPDATES 1/10/15
My front locker has been installed for almost six months now. Needless to say, it was time for some air.

I gained a ton of knowledge from this post.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39566

After looking at the Viair dual 480C compressors off and on for over a year, I made a last minute decision to purchase a pair of Air Zenith OB2 compressors for my rig. They pump out 200psi and are 100 duty cycle like most top of the line models available. The website states that a pair will run 8.5CFM but I could only tune mine to 7CFM at the moment. Needless to say they're fast to fill the 8 gallon tank.

Wanted them out of the way and protected from the elements. The post mentioned above detailed the trunk wheel well location and after long deliberation that location was the best in my mind.

Ended up having some friends make two steel plates that were then welded into the wheel well to allow a mounting location for the compressors.

The plexiglass panel and rivet assembly wasn't my first option but I'm stoked how it turned out. I intended to replace the stock panel I cut out of the trunk but damaged it beyond repair trying to assemble a fan in the vented portion.

The plexiglass reminds me more of the type of mod you'd see from that west coast customs show with the high gloss finish. Considering I wanted it to look stock when I was done, this is the exact opposite however the panel allows folks to lay eyes on the detailed "behind the scenes" work that went into the set up.

Along with the compressors came an 8lb air tank to hold a reserve supply for the locker,horns and tools. I've got it mounted behind my rear bumper in the former spare tire location.

I had an spare port on the tank so I decided to run an air line to the void location of the spare tire release to add an additional air source to my rig.

Left a bit of slack in the air line to aid in using the quick disconnect.

I chose to run both compressors to a splitter before it hit the tank as opposed to running both compressors to two different ports.

Threw a gauge on the end of the tank to monitor the locker line. Plan to add a fancy Air Zenith digital gauge in the cab as I currently have no idea what my locker pressure is when its on. I've got the switch and psi dialed but I'll admit the gauge location wasn't the best one. I didn't have enough air line left to run the gauge to the cab thus the reason I cut the mod time short and stuck this sucker on the end of the tank.

Had to add the train horns while I was a it, got them tuned to 151 decibels right now and they scream. Ordered a pair from hornblasters several months back and immediately returned them. Dudes seem cool but the horns I ordered were crap. Forget the brand of the ones I installed but I bought them from a guy that was parting out his rig on the forums.

Here's a few pics of the underside of my rig now. The tank tucked in quite nice. Ran this thing like I stole it last week at Coos bay and the horns are still attached.

New buttons added to the dash. Started cutting before thinking it all the way through...should have placed them on the left side of the steering wheel. The horn button is just a cu*t hair off too and it's buggin me.

Got the DepHep molle panels for my trunk. Love these things. Waiting to get a half dozen molle storage options so I can start hanging some gear from them.

No pics detailing this baller mod but I'm happy to report I now have a fully working emergency brake on my rig. It was a bit hectic and definitely had a few close calls but she lives to tell about it. I would not recommend your manual trans daily driver be without an e-brake...EVER...

Waiting on the new Warn hardware to come in, that stuff has been on back order for a while now. Got a new CB, some light additions and a pair of RCV half shafts to install on the next go round so stay tuned.

·
Registered
901 Posts
First off, this is an amazing build. I'm super impressed and even more envious.

I mean no insult, but something isn't right with the rear suspension numbers you're reporting. There is no way your rear shocks dimensions are right. That would be a 17" travel shock with a 15" compressed length. It is impossible to make a tradition design shock that can more than double its length. Also, your rear shocks don't have springs, that looks like a copy/paste error. I'm not sure what caused the confusion with the shock lengths.
:bs:
SUSPENSION:
PRG adjustable rear shackles
custom built rear Radflo shocks with 700lb springs
@ 23” eyelet to eyelet - 15” compressed & 32” extended

PRG u-bolt flip kit and u-bolt billet blocks
Spring Over Axle Conversion with new perch mounts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Damn! -- you hit the lottery, bud?

Nice job -- your X looks like a beast!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments fellas. Looking forward to some Spring wheeling.

NixX - Thanks for the heads up. PRG Greg originally threaded my rear shocks to take springs down the road but you are correct in that it was a copy and paste issue. As far as the shocks there is definitely an error somewhere, good catch, I'll have to measure in the near future and post the correct numbers. These numbers were from a scrap piece of paper from way back when I was trying to determine my rear shock length for Greg. Must have mixed some numbers up along the way.

Surf - Are the Molle panels on upside down? All my pics looks right side up from this end haha

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Thanks for the comments fellas. Looking forward to some Spring wheeling.

NixX - Thanks for the heads up. PRG Greg originally threaded my rear shocks to take springs down the road but you are correct in that it was a copy and paste issue. As far as the shocks there is definitely an error somewhere, good catch, I'll have to measure in the near future and post the correct numbers. These numbers were from a scrap piece of paper from way back when I was trying to determine my rear shock length for Greg. Must have mixed some numbers up along the way.

Surf - Are the Molle panels on upside down? All my pics looks right side up from this end haha
Weird. Like half the pics I see are upside down. Does anyone else see the same?

For example:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts