Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking this afternoon as I was in the machine shop at work about how limited we are with finding accessories for our X's... namely... bumpers.

Has anyone considered designing a mounting bracket for an existing ARB bumper? It would take some work... like trying to pick a front end that's close to ours... getting a CAD model or simply purchasing it and then reverse-engineer it... design a bracket without compromising the safety features of the car and without adding too much weight.

Hahaha... after writing all that... I think I've answered my own question. However, I wonder what the market is for something like that. I guess I'm just tired of having to wait on companies that say there's no market for it. How can there be such a HUGE market for the Toyota FJ Cruiser but little for the Xterra?

Just curious... any thoughts?

·
on line
809 Posts
Having just came from owning a Land Cruiser I can easily answer why the FJC has much better aftermarket support than the Xterra. Toyota has made at least one or more offroad capable vehicle going back to the early 60's. That history is very strong and has earned them a big following. Also, Toyota itself heavily advertises the FJC and sponsors things like the Toyota Trail Team and enthusiastically provides rigs to major parts vendors so the aftermarket could be launched simultaneously with the FJC.

I'm driving an 07 offroad so I'm clearly not a fanboy, but I do know that Toyota does quite a few things right.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I agree with Silvia. Nissan's still nosing its way into the off-road scene as far as their mass production line is concerned.

As far as fabing up your own bumper, why not use a Shrockworks template? Or for that matter, a Calmini template... ARB does not necessarily make the best bumpers. For example, a bumper is only as strong as it's mounting points. I can't see improving on the Shrock or Calmini mounting template unless your mounting tabs were part of the bumper, rather than bolt-on.

Also, if you ask me, I think both Calmini and Shrockworks bumpers are aesthetically superior to anything I've seen from ARB.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
import silvia said:
...but I do know that Toyota does quite a few things right.
Like making a truck that can have cracks in the body. :blackeye: Sorry, had to! :)

Thats seems to be a lot of work involved. I'm sure someone could/would do it if they had the time and resources...but with stuff already out there, that kinda deters people from doing the extra work.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I think it can be done. The first ARB's attached to an Xterra were from a Jeep. It took ARB quite some time to even make bumpers for the 1st gen.

·
on line
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I just don't really need the approach angle. I understand that Toyota Land Cruisers, Tundras, and Tacomas are some really nice off road machines, but I really didn't take to the FJ Cruiser. I thought it handled marginally. I was just really surprised how many parts there are for the new FJ Cruiser.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts