Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2011 Pro-4X with the Bilstein shocks. Despite what people have said about their softness, I rather enjoy the ride of my truck. I had a Jeep Wrangler before this, and I really enjoy the way the stock X drives. It's come time for new tires, and I REALLY want to get the same BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s that I had on my Jeep - but in a slightly more beefy 285/75-16 instead of the stock 265/75-16s. I know I will have to do the melt mod, but I also want to lift the truck slightly. The extra cost for the bigger tires will eat up my budget for a lift, so like every other thread about this, I have a dirt poor budget.

Should I just get a puck in front and new shackles in the rear? Would this ride JUST like stock, or would it feel odd? Are shims necessary?

I understand it is much better to go with a full coilover solution. Should I just get stock sized tires and opt for a more-betterer lift? My total budget is around $1,200 including any installation, if someone wants to suggest alternatives.

EDIT: I do not wheel offroad. This is only for looking bad-ass, and dealing with sloppy winter roads. I take it on the beach sometimes, at least.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
1200$ for just a lift? You can get a pretty sweet setup for that.

http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/prg-2xe31mk-x/

go for that if you want cheap. Install yourself. wont take but half a day if you're not inclined with this sort of stuff. Takes someone else that knows a thing or two a couple hours.

ride quality will be slightly stiffer but not much. I dont think youll be kicking yourself for getting it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If you don't wheel it or go off-road, I would save my pennies for something more functional for you.

Go with simple lift spacers in the front and simple shackles in the rear first. Spend the money on the aggressive tires. You should feel very minimal difference in ride (your higher up)

You have a very young truck with no sag to the springs. Unless you plan to put more weight in the back I would steer clear of the AALs as they stiffen the spring pack when the lift it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't wheel it or go off-road, I would save my pennies for something more functional for you.

Go with simple lift spacers in the front and simple shackles in the rear first. Spend the money on the aggressive tires. You should feel very minimal difference in ride (your higher up)

You have a very young truck with no sag to the springs. Unless you plan to put more weight in the back I would steer clear of the AALs as they stiffen the spring pack when the lift it.
My Jeep had a 2.5" suspension lift with a rear sway bar bracket and transfer case drop. It made it ride MUCH better, but in this case, I already like the X's ride.

So you say go with the spacer/shackle over the spacer/AAL kit? With either kit - would the stock rear shock stay alive or would street driving extended a bit from the lift hurt the shock?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Shouldn't hurt them much. Think how much they can drop just by putting your truck on a jack stand. Again, as a 'visual' lift, I would stick with the basics, can be done by your self in a beer filled afternoon with minimal tools and you don't need new U-Bolts.

Grab an alignment after when you get the new tires and your good to go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Shouldn't hurt them much. Think how much they can drop just by putting your truck on a jack stand. Again, as a 'visual' lift, I would stick with the basics, can be done by your self in a beer filled afternoon with minimal tools and you don't need new U-Bolts.

Grab an alignment after when you get the new tires and your good to go.
OK... I was able to price out spacers, rear shackles and bumpstops from NissTec for $222 plus shipping. Not bad...

Should I order shims just in case? What about cam bolts?

Thanks again for the info. I will be ordering my tires (at least) after the holidays.

EDIT: Another question... I was just reading about ride quality sucking with preload, aka a spacer. Anyone with the NissTec 2" spacer able to report a difference in ride?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
OK... I was able to price out spacers, rear shackles and bumpstops from NissTec for $222 plus shipping. Not bad...

Should I order shims just in case? What about cam bolts?

Thanks again for the info. I will be ordering my tires (at least) after the holidays.

EDIT: Another question... I was just reading about ride quality sucking with preload, aka a spacer. Anyone with the NissTec 2" spacer able to report a difference in ride?
Ride quality is always going to change. More preload will be stiffer so yes they will be stiffer. Will you be able to tell? I dont know.

Skip the shims pretty unlikely that youll need them. Cam bolts you may need to get a good alignment. I never understood why nissan left them out after 05...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Upper cam bolts can handle 90% of a stock suspension geometry.

Top-mount spacers should not add preload to the springs. Springs should still be a same compression height and strength, but the LCA will be forced away from the coil bucket. Your geometry might change, but shouldn't affect the 'stiffness'.

Like German said, shims are not needed at this lift height. Your pinion angle is not extreme enough to warrant it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Last time I looked, Nisstec offerer 2" IN COIL spacers. I really don't think you want those. You want TOP MOUNT spacers that basically drop the front shock relative to the frame. These are the ones that bolt to the top of the shock and then also bolt to the coil bucket. AND, if you go with 2.0" lift spacers, you'll probably get coil bucket contact when going over speed bumps.

The absolute cheapest way to raise the X a little is with top mount spacers for the front and a shackle for the rear. You could get them as a set for about $100 off eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBON-STEEL-COIL-SPACER-LIFT-KIT-FRONT-2-REAR-1-5-SHACKLE-2WD-4WD-4X2-4X4-/271321844928?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AXterra&hash=item3f2c0accc0&vxp=mtr

I only went 1.5" and needed camber bolts. You can find them all over the net. They're made by Moog. I think I paid $48 shipped for a full set - 4 bolts. Install was quick and easy, but I live in the desert and there's never salt on our roads.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in the Atlantic City area.

I am leaning towards giving NissTec a call and discussing my options with them, but if I lift my X it will probably be either their spacer/shackle or a full coilover setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts