Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just hit 60k miles and am well aware that that's a big service interval. So after calling my dealer I got a quote of $665 for the Premium Maintenance Package (60k service).

Just got off the phone w/ a local garage that does a lot of work for my X and my fiance's Cavalier and he said "Not a damn thing!" After praising me for taking such obvious great care of the truck that the only thing to look into is my timing belts (Not sure when ours are recommended to be changed).

So the moral of the story is: proper maintenance pays off and avoid the dealership at all costs (after your warranty has expired, of course).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
We have a timing chain not a belt and it would be damn near impossible to "Check".

There are certain things that I feel should be done at 60K. But just like everything, opinions may very.

If you have never done the following, you should probably do it before 60K miles.

Tanny fluid
Diff Fluid
Transfer case fluid
Engine oil
Brakeline flush
Coolant
Blinker fluid

The only things listed that are a pain to do yourself is the coolant and tranny (if it's an auto). You might be able to hold off on the blinker fluid for a few more miles.

After changing my diff fluid and TC fluid, I am glad I did it when I did. Sure there are people who have never changed it and go a long just fine, but why risk it?

BTW, the blinker fluid was a joke.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
We all know the items that require service or attention are listed in the owners/service manual. Have you considered performing the service yourself?

·
on line
628 Posts
TXterra37 said:
I have done a lot of them myself so far: in-cabin microfilter, f & r diff fluids, brake pads. The only thing I haven't taken care of is the brake fluid/system flush and the transfer case (I assume that is just swapping out fluid?).
If you can get your hands on a brake bleeding tool, flushing the brake line is easy. I did mine this weekend when I installed the extended lines. I am sure you can do it with out the tool you'll just need some buckets lots of fluid and I would recommend some tubing to put on the end of the bleeder valve so as not to make a mess.

·
on line
628 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Sweet, thanks Geoff.

BTW, how's the move coming along?
Still waiting on orders, but I am being told I'll have them in hand next week for a report date of 14 July, nevertheless I am hitting the road for Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland for a few months at the end of this month.

I am looking forward to moving to Syracuse though, really looking forward to next winter. I love cold weather and the more snow the better, of course this is coming from a person who has never seen snow for more than 3 consecutive days. Who knows maybe this time next year, I'll be wishing I had never left Texas.

·
on line
628 Posts
With the exception of August of '95 through August of '97, I've lived here since '92 and I have hated it every day of summer since which accounts for all but maybe 25 days of a year. I am ready for some change.

·
on line
628 Posts
willgr1 said:
USArmyX said:
.... nevertheless I am hitting the road for Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland for a few months at the end of this month.

10 miles from my previous place of residence....sucked when they shot off the tanks......
From a sign that is posted at many US Military installations, "Pardon our noise, but that is the sound of freedom"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts