Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, I just purchased the tomtom one (portable) and I want to mount a screw in type mount in the space right in front of the gear shifter. I want this to have full power all of the time (ie, try to hardwire the power cord somehow). This way, I could disconnect it from the mount if I need to take it out. The thing is, I'm pretty much going to leave it in all the time. I couldn't pass on the deal, ended up being $242 shipped w/tax. So do I need to get a power inverter (a la Sex terra in the how to section) or is there another way to do this, and what would I need to make this happen. I would like to keep the visible wires at a bare minimum. Thanks for all of your help

·
on line
2,573 Posts
I mounted my GPS up on the dash in the tray area using the provided double sided tape for the mount.
I made a notch behind the tray and ran the wires down in the dash.

One wire is the FM antenna to receive traffic reports and that goes from in the dash back to the front under the windshield defrost vents and uses suction cups to hold the wire to the windshield.

The other is the DC power plug which is in the dash and runs out the passenger side under the glove box and into the Cig always ON power.

After wiring up my lights I decided not to splice anything else into any power lines behind the dash. Better safe than sorry

I got pics somewhere but not of the full install just what it looks like and where the wires go in and come out.

Just so you know I'm running the Magellan 6000T GPS.

Later

DaveP

·
on line
2,573 Posts
Sorry about the wait on the Pics

You can see where I mounted the GPS and see the DC and FM wires going behind the dash tray. Couldn't get a good pic of the notch I cut into the back of the tray but it's enough to get the wires in but not enough that when you take the wires out you can see the notch.

The coil cable under the dash going to the 12v plug is the DC power for the GPS unit.

Hope this help you out or gives you some ideas

Later

DaveP

·
on line
8 Posts
quick question

not meaning to hijack the thread, but i was wondering why you have the magellan GPS if you have that in-dash 7inch system i see in your pics? Unless its a DVD only system....just a side note, thanks! :geek:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Good question..... but I also have a in dash DVD/NAV system and when i went on the long trip to Moab I took my fiancees Blackbird (alpine navigation). I cant load maps or anyting onto my indash system but I can load maps onto the blackbird via SD card.... so it made navigating the trails in Moab really easy.

just my thoughts.

·
on line
2,573 Posts
I got the GPS from my moms this past X-mas and I just did the head unit a little over two months ago.

It's not the best way to do the Nav and the head unit but that is how everything fell into place.

The head unit CQ-VD6503U has DVD, IPod, XM controls and Optional Nav which I did not get. I got a sweet deal I thought on it for $400 as a close out. They wanted $550 for it on the Web and the local shop was looking to get them out the door so that is how I got the deal.

I think they are selling them for $480 right now as they still have some left.

I don't mind the set-up and couldn't beat the price.

Plus I travel ALL the time and I can take the 6000T with me and put it in my rental cars. Which I can't do with an in-dash unit.

Later

DaveP

·
on line
114 Posts
XterraVT said:
The head unit CQ-VD6503U has DVD, IPod, XM controls and Optional Nav which I did not get. I got a sweet deal I thought on it for $400 as a close out. They wanted $550 for it on the Web and the local shop was looking to get them out the door so that is how I got the deal.
The last I read Panasonic decided not to produce the Nav add-on. Instead they released a $1800 head unit with Nav built in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts