Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Intro Comments: I guess I should start one of these build threads so you all can track my progress with this truck.

Make: Nissan
Year: 2014
Model: Xterra
Trim: S
Color: Brilliant Silver

Transmission: 5 speed AT
Intended Purpose: Good balance of all off road environments

Comments: I owe a lot of my happiness with this truck to the great community that this truck brings with it, so pat yourselves on the back for that. I have had a lot of help from the local NY guys and the not so local guys and gaining knowledge that I can 1 day pass onto others is really something most of the car community is lacking these days.

MODS

Exterior:
Cravenspeed stubby antenna
Weathertech bug deflector
Thule 450 foot pack with 65" crossbars
4ft. Firestik CB antenna
Melt mod

Armor:
Hardcore Offroad LLC rear bumper with hitch and recovery points
Hardcore Offroad LLC steel plate winch bumper with pre-runner hoop and recovery points
Hardcore Offroad LLC radiator skid plate
Hefty Fab Sliders
Hefty Fab engine skid plate
Hefty Fab transmission skid plate
OEM Pro4x transfer case skid plate
OEM Pro4x gas tank skid plate
Ballistic Fab diff cover
Hardcore Offroad LLC tire carrier bumper ordered
Airflow snorkel- not installed

Lockers:
Lokka front locker- not installed
Ratech 1104 shims- not installed

Tires/Wheels:
Stock wheels 16x7.5
285/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks
Coyote Automatic tire deflators set to 15lbs.

Suspension:
Sway-A-Way 2.0 650# Rebuilt by Greg at PRG
SPC uca's- regreased with marine grease
Moog lca's
PRG cam bolt kit
Bilstein rear shocks 3-4" lift
Nisstec adjustable shackles
Nisstec steel shims 3°
PRG single leaf aal
PRG U-bolt flip kit

Interior and Electronics:
Midland 1001LWX cb radio
Bosch Platinum AGM battery (650cca)
2 Arsenal light bars 17"
Drivers side Dephep Molle panel with quickfists for shovel
Rear hatch handle delete mod (lost it to my trunk mounted spare)
Various recovery equipment in hatch
Retractable hatch cargo cover
OEM Nissan Xterra rubber floor mats (front & rear)

Removed
Oem crossbars
3ft. Firestik antenna
Yakima Load Warrior basket with side mounts, extra crossbar & cargo net
Procomp 7089 16x8

PHOTOS

Here's the day after I brought her home from the dealership.

Started looking on this forum and posted up a WTB oem cross bars, picked them up from Dutch169 (Dennis) for free! Dennis, thanks again!

Not soon after I found a set of hefty fab sliders on craigslist so I picked those up

And installed them when it warmed up a bit

Next up was skid plates, I picked up an oem pro4x transfer case skid for free from Dforlenza, Thanks again Dom! And Greg also sold me 2 hefty fab skids radiator and engine, but I sold the rad skid soon after buying it.

Picked up a dephep driver side window molle panel and mounted 2 sets of quickfists to it.

Got them mounted up the next day after about 20 mins of explaining that they would definitely fit to the guys at the tire shop who seemed skeptical

Bought a set of Hardcore Off Road LLC bumpers, front with no fog holes and pre-runner hoop and rear without tire carrier but with hitch for an unbelievable price so I drove 5hrs 1 way to PA to pick them up

Then I coated them with roll on bed-liner and it came out okay, but I think during the winter, I'm gonna re-do them probably with just rattlecans

Went on the VT trip with Noah who only stopped by the first night but brought us some delicious local brews and homemade ciders, Thanks again Noah! Romeo, Juan, Brian, and Will, thanks again guys for a memorable trip! and learned a hell of a lot about the capabilities of this truck, the capabilities of a good spotter, and driver and that my girlfriend is actually enjoying this hobby as well (which is important to me)

On this trip I also learned the importance of armor, drove back like this from VT and sat on a ferry for an hour, had no idea it even happened until the next day when I spotted a large puddle of diff fluid in my driveway...the carnage

And my next obvious purchase was this Ballistic Fabworks diff cover

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking good!!.....the diff all sealed up nice and tight now?
Nope, it's my own fault, I didn't wait 24hrs for it to fully cure before adding fluids, I'll be re-doing it tonight and letting it cure before adding the fluids again.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a real important update, but I finally received the correct size bolts for my rear diff cover, it's finally bolted on correctly, but due to the thunderstorms yesterday I was unable to fill the diff.

Will be filling it tonight and will hopefully not run into any future issues.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good deal. When you lifting this thing?

Unfortunately, after ecxc but hopefully before winter so I can install that lovely front bumper that has become a lawn ornament in my backyard

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yesterday and the day before I finally installed the trans and engine skids, had to modify the engine skid to accept the stock rad skid.

Drilled 2 new holes in the engine skid and bolted the rad skid to it.

Also when I was installing the pro4x gas skid I snapped the front bolt in the hole, so I finally got to drill it out last night.

I'll be re-threading the hole tonight and installing a new bolt.

Ready for ECXC next week!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wen to ECXC this past weekend, met a bunch of people, made lots of new friends, and beat the ever loving sh*t out of my X.

Suffered a bit of body damage on the driver rear door but I'm not worried about it. Haven't been able to get underneath the truck to inspect all that much except for a noticeable dent the size of a softball in my gas tank skid. Probably gonna just take it off, flatten it out and mount it back on.

Got some videos of my girlfriend driving my truck on Trail 14 on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also got the recovery vids from when I pulled out Matt and Chantel from the rock that damaged my rear driver door and Tim from the washouts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Looks like you had a good time. We're you impressed by the capabilities of ur truck. ECXC is great, seeing all those modded trucks in person makes you want to do every mod instantly! !

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We had an amazing time! Hanging out with the blue groups made me realize that I need a lift and the remainder of the hefty skids.

The capabilities of this truck astound me every time I get it out onto the trails. It performs really well. The Falken Wildpeaks are a great tire and at 16lbs. were amazing in getting through anything.

I must remove my rear sway bar (probably gonna have to cut the nuts/bolts off), I must seriously buy a lift, and I must also look into getting that 90lb spare off my roof.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Why can't you strap your spare down in your rear cargo area? Just make some tie-down points in the cargo tracks using an eye-bolt, two square nuts and 2 large washers. That's what I use to hold my Raingler net down, cost me all of $18 for 2 of them.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why can't you strap your spare down in your rear cargo area? Just make some tie-down points in the cargo tracks using an eye-bolt, two square nuts and 2 large washers. That's what I use to hold my Raingler net down, cost me all of $18 for 2 of them.
The spare just takes up so much room in the hatch, the only good thing of having it up top is I don't have to worry about it being in the way.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Strap it to the hood like an old LR!

lol

And I just noticed that the spare doesn't seem to match the other tires...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welp, after a long time of believing someone else's word and not actually just trying myself, I learned that with the Hardcore rear bumper the 285 does in fact fit underneath in stock location.

I can finally use my Yakima basket for storing **** other than a 90lb spare tire/steelie combo lol

You can't tell from this pic but that Wildpeak is stuffed underneath and now I have so much more room for activities...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good looking build! I can't wait to see it with the lift and Hardcore front bumper. I've loved mine so far.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts