Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone knows where to get one cheap (they're about $80)OR if someone has made one?? Preferably if someone has a how to, that would be awesome.

·
on line
564 Posts
I've always wondered how people get their spares up to the roof racks! Especially the 285/75-16 guys...that wheel and tire combo has got to weigh 85~90lbs.

Rob

·
on line
51 Posts
I have my spare in my basket on my grand cherokee. I just bought a couple really good quality bungees (ones that won't break in winter) and strapped it down. It doesn't move, and it costs next to nothing.

·
on line
366 Posts
Seems like all the yakima stuff is the same price no matter where you buy it. (expensive!) Maybe that company that makes the coleman roof rack will make a knock-off of one. :D

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i've been thinking of getting a coleman rack and putting my 255/85/16 up there, but if i do that i'm gonna get the gobi ladder to make it easier to get it up and down if needed.

i would prob. use ratchet straps to hold it down, or fab a mount that locks.

·
on line
631 Posts
i hate having my 285 spare up top, but no place else to put it until i get my bumper.

all i can say is that it is heavy enough to not need the tire hold down. yes it weighs around 85 pounds (never really weighed mine)... but if you plan to keep it up there forever then buy the yak hold down. if you plan on taking it down often, or plan on getting the spare tire carrier... then just use a ratchet tie down.

frickin tire is HEAVY! and a PITA to take down and put back up... so for now mine stays there until i need it... or one of my friends is around so they can take it down haha

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well this kind of ties into that, what is the weight difference between the steel "X" wheel and a regular "S" wheel??? Because, if it's only like a 5 pound difference, I can deal with taking that down. If it's like 15-20 lbs more, no thank you

·
on line
631 Posts
i dont think there is much of a weight difference between the 2 wheels.... but if somebody wants to weigh both.....

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If they weigh the same there there is no point on getting a steelie, then if I get a flat, I won't have to take the flat off and put the good tire on the OE rim, juse swap 'em out

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Last I heard, Yakima was discontinuing the spare tire carrier for their roof rack. When I bought mine, I checked several places and finally found one in stock at Courtesy Parts for $75, I think. If you can find one, it is worth it, especially if you don't have a rear bumper with tire carrier.

It is a PITA to get the tire up and down off the roof, but not impossible. A 5 or 6 foot stepladder definitely makes things easier. Although, most people probably don't go offroading with a ladder! LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts