Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have been reading a lot on here about roof racks and cargo baskets and it seems like people have been raving about the coleman one from Cotsco. I have considered that one but have been real skeptical since I saw the pics of it leaking rust out of its tubes. I decided I wanted to go with the Yakima brand because if its warranty and overall reliability. What are people's thoughts on the Safari basket they sell and the Load Warrior basket. I know the safari one is smaller, but besides that are their any other major differences? Also, what are people's experiences with the Yakima Roof baskets and how they fit? Thanks.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I had the Mega Warrior first, and then got the Load Warrior. IMHO, the Mega Warrior is way too big for the Xterra. The Load Warrior fits great, and my second spare tire was mounted up there for approx. 3 months (before I got my Shrock rear bumper). The tire never moved around on the rack - even while offroading. If you get the Load Warrior, I suggest buying the locks for it.

I am not familiar with the Safari rack, though.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
lumber77 said:
Hello all, I have been reading a lot on here about roof racks and cargo baskets and it seems like people have been raving about the coleman one from Cotsco. I have considered that one but have been real skeptical since I saw the pics of it leaking rust out of its tubes. I decided I wanted to go with the Yakima brand because if its warranty and overall reliability. What are people's thoughts on the Safari basket they sell and the Load Warrior basket. I know the safari one is smaller, but besides that are their any other major differences? Also, what are people's experiences with the Yakima Roof baskets and how they fit? Thanks.
Hiya, I have the Mega warrior with the extension. I think it fits fine but some may not. I am in the belief of having a roof rack cover the entire roof line. That being said using a Mega warrior w the extension will negate the medicine cabinet-sized 'cargo box'.

Yakima is a great rack but some if the accessories are pricey. I have the Hi-lift bracket (with the jack obviously) and the ax brackets/ax on one side and the shovel bracket /shovel on the other. With PUH-LEN-TY of space up top to carry camping gear, jerry cans, whatever.

·
on line
358 Posts
Haven't heard, seen, couldn't find a "Safari" !

·
on line
853 Posts
It really depends on what you plan to carry up there.

I had a Yak Safari basket for a while (you are talking about the much smaller one, that looks more like wire, right?). It is pretty solid, and worked well for carrying folding chairs, camp table, firewood etc. It is probably not strong enough to mount a High Lift jack on, but it also does not take up the entire width of the roof, so you could mount a jack off to one side. At least one member of SCCX does exactly that. He also carries fuel cans on his, but do not know if he's using extra mounts. One of the really nice things about the Safari basket is its much lower profile.

I now have the regular length Yak Loadwarrior, with high lift bracket on one side and shovel (poser) mounted on the other, along with CB antenna mounted at the back of it. I do use the upper gear basket, so I did not get the extension. I leave the rack mounted (poser) all the time, as I am too lazy to either remove it or make room in my garage to park the thing.

As for someone stealing it, I have made it a bit more difficult by using double nuts on two of the mounts instead of the hand tighten thingies that come with the rack. You would need a pair of wrenches to undo the nuts.

It might be a little hard to see in this pic, but that is the Safari rack on my truck.

·
on line
3 Posts
Those of you with the roof baskets, do you leave it on all the time or only when you need the extra storage? What kind of decrease in MPG do you see with the basket on and is there an increase in wind noise?

·
on line
853 Posts
Krisak said:
Those of you with the roof baskets, do you leave it on all the time or only when you need the extra storage? What kind of decrease in MPG do you see with the basket on and is there an increase in wind noise?
I leave my Yak Loadwarrior on all the time, for several reasons:

1) I'm too lazy to take it down.
2) My garage has so much sh*t in it that I could not park inside anyway.
3) I like the "poser" look that having the rack with the shovel attached gives.

I don't drive the X every day, leaving the rack on probably has hurt mileage a bit. I don't notice any wind noise.

·
on line
366 Posts
Krisak said:
I had mine on for a few months (coleman), but it makes the X really tough to fit in parking garages. (unlifted) Now that I lifted the x 2" I'm sure it'd be even more of a pain, lol.

I seem to remember it being kind of noisy when it was on the roof though. I'm probably going to leave it off until I actually need to use it.

·
on line
429 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a request for folks with the racks out there, could you show me how you have your NATO style gas cans mounted securely for off roading. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts