Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, im planning on getting the Yakima load warrior and noticed on Rack Attacks website that you can convert the Load to a Mega simply by putting an extension in between the Load warrior. Has anyone done this or would it look funny bieng 40% longer? If anyone has, could you post some pics? Thanks

·
on line
1,618 Posts
The Load Warrior and the Mega are 2 different baskets. When you put an extension on, you do just that, extend it. Check out Yakima's site, and look at the dimensions.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
The Mega is really quite large. IMO, it's too large for our roof, aesthetically. You'll also either encroach on the area to access the basket handle, or be forced to leave some rack hanging off the rear of the factory rack.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. You guys are right about the extra length. Besides, our X's arent that big to begin with and the mega warrior is probably overkill. Ive seen what the stock load warrior can carry and i think thats plenty much. Anyone know of the cheapest place to pick up one of these bad boys?

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I'd say try RackAttack but the shipping is costly. Hit up REI.
Then again, there's also the Coleman version, which is quite a bit less and is almost identical...

·
on line
975 Posts
I have the Coleman Safari Rack. The cheapest I have found the Yakima new is about $290 or so. The Coleman rack can be ordered from Costco.com and run $129 with shipping if member. Without member ship I think that it runs 5 to 10% more but still way cheaper than the Yakima.

Oh yeah, IMO the Coleman is a better built rack.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
X_Trippin said:
I have the Coleman Safari Rack. The cheapest I have found the Yakima new is about $290 or so. The Coleman rack can be ordered from Costco.com and run $129 with shipping if member. Without member ship I think that it runs 5 to 10% more but still way cheaper than the Yakima.

Oh yeah, IMO the Coleman is a better built rack.
X2

·
on line
564 Posts
How did you guys mount the Coleman Safari Rack?

Rob

·
on line
18 Posts
I just got my Mega Warrior rack last week. I also ordered the extension. Which I am not sure if I will ever use. I am debating on sending it back. Here are some pics of the rack to give you an I dea on the size of the Mega Warrior.

[/img]

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey echo, can you move the mounting points more forward so the rack is not hanging off the back? if so, then that might not be such a bad idea. can you get a picture with you X far away so we can all guage the size better? thanks

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just out of curiosity, to those that have the coleman, does it mount to the crossbars just like the Yakima? can anyone post up some pics of the coleman rack mounted? also, what are the main differences between the two? on paper they are the same dimensions and both are made from steel. last but not least, can you mount additional accessories like a shovel or a high lift jack to the coleman? i already know you can on the Yak but how about the coleman. coleman people, please come forward!!!

·
on line
18 Posts
Yes you can move the mounts. I left it back a few inches so I could get at the overhead basket easily.

·
TNX Administrator
20,433 Posts
xterra3100 said:
just out of curiosity, to those that have the coleman, does it mount to the crossbars just like the Yakima? can anyone post up some pics of the coleman rack mounted? also, what are the main differences between the two? on paper they are the same dimensions and both are made from steel. last but not least, can you mount additional accessories like a shovel or a high lift jack to the coleman? i already know you can on the Yak but how about the coleman. coleman people, please come forward!!!
Check out danh1023 Coleman Safari Rack Setup on the 2nd page of this thread below;

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1469

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think im gonna go the Coleman route via Costco but i still want to know if the additional brackets to hold the shovel and hilift jack will fit this rack. if Yakima's holders are universal then i think they will work. to the Coleman users, have you mounted your hilift up there? how about the spare tire carrier? will it work for this rack?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts