Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of this idea?

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=004574;p=

I wonder if at 85MPH there will be too much force pushing back on the lights and if it could warp/bend/crack the bin lid.

Also, I was wondering if there was a equally clean method of running wires into the cabin without drilling directly through the roof.

Lastly, are switches available to fit into the OEM slots? For example, next to the 4WD control?

·
on line
264 Posts
look around there are a lot of posts on this already

MC has his mounted there with no problems.

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find that forum search functions are among the worst ever devised. Search "Roof Lights" and let me know if anything on the 4 first pages has anything to do with the mounting and wiring of roof lights. Maybe I missed something useful.

the closest I got was this: Roof Lights Installed
But it doesnt explain how the wires were run, only that a shop did it.

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There we go! I finally did find that!

I'm basically goign to do the same thing I guess. Not real thrilled about drilling my week-old X, but oh well.

Now does anyone know where to get two factory Diff Lock switches? Im going to paint and re-lable them as my switches. One for the inner driving lights, and one for the outer wide-beam lights. Since I moved my Clutch interlock bypass switch, I have two open slots over there now.

·
on line
641 Posts
avizpls said:
I find that forum search functions are among the worst ever devised. Search "Roof Lights" and let me know if anything on the 4 first pages has anything to do with the mounting and wiring of roof lights. Maybe I missed something useful.
When you did your search, did you:
- select the "Search for all terms" radio button
- select the "Display results as:" "Topics" radio button

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well I was like 1st i know of to mount em like that, I have tested mine to like 110 MPH when the engine shuts off by the computer, I did a solid 70 to 85 all the way from Cleveland Ohio to MOAB Utah recently and no problems. So have at it tested tough! MC

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet. Thanks for the info MC! Had I not seen it done, I wouldnt have decided to go this route. It just defies logic that they wont bend backwards.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
avizpls said:
Sweet. Thanks for the info MC! Had I not seen it done, I wouldnt have decided to go this route. It just defies logic that they wont bend backwards.
I think I have measurements here:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1933
But you back them with a strip of aluminum and if you place them right they kinda counterbalance against the gas struts on the lid. You still can;t hit a parking garage roof with em and survive, but, the whole lid lights and all comes off in like 20 seconds and that is much more than I can say for most roof lights, no glare because they sit back far enough. This is one MOD I have done that......to ME, was perfect! Other than I should have run 4 power wires up there, two for the lights, one for a flashing yellow caution light I run, and one for my Side lamps that attach to my roof rack. As I have it now, these unplug, so to run the other lights I just unplug and plug the ones I am using in. 2 prong plug connector, Very useful! MC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts