Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a bigger diameter y-pipe for our trucks? I know the Banks exhaust comes with a y-pipe, but that fitment is for the Frontier. Are there any companies out there that offer a y-pipe for our X's? Or is it easier to just go to a muffle shop (meineke, etc) and have them custom make one.

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I did not even know that. does anyone sell them seperately though, cause I already have a magnaflow exhaust

·
on line
60 Posts
when i had my flowmaster put on i had the muffler shop custom weld a y-pipe out of 2.5" pipe

·
on line
4,495 Posts
You can have one custom made as nightarmor said, but I do believe either Gibson or Dynomax sell a stand alone Y pipe. Don't quote me though, I could be wrong. Either way, it'd be cheaper to have someone make one for you.

·
on line
423 Posts
I was under my truck a couple of weeks ago and noticed how pathetic the y pipe is. Those who have done this modification....noticeable difference? Sound, power?

·
on line
30 Posts
manifold spacer will help increase the airflow into the engine but without the y-pipe replacement your gain will not be as much as with the y-pipe replacement. all that extra air will not have anywhere to go imo.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
I had the factory Y-pipe replaced this past weekend while down in San Antonio...

we drove from Dallas to San Antonio averaging 19.5 MPG in our X model 4x4 Xterra.
While in SA, i hit up a local exhaust shop and had the guy cut out and weld up the Y pipe.

He charged me only 75 bucks total!

pics of the factory squeezed culprit!

OH yeah! on the way back from SA to Dallas we averaged 24.7 MPG

both to and from Dallas i was on the gas!! 80-85 where i could......slowest being 60ish when we hit traffic..

-j

·
on line
554 Posts
got the dynomax, love it!!! 68 bucks. it will add some power as well as sound. a must for anyone who wants to get some outta there x

·
on line
1,113 Posts
I had my y-pipe removed I wanted to get another one but i ended up getting a 2 into 1 muffler the power gain is definately noticeable I might have lost a little back pressure but I think its alright and the muffler broke in a little and now it sounds pretty good

·
on line
72 Posts
I had a muffler shop mgr. in Arlington Tx. tell me that the manufacturers put bottlenecks such as the crappy looking y-pipe that comes on our X for a reason........to create back pressure so that the exhaust gas has to stay in the cats long enough for the cats to do their thing. And that by opening up the restriction the veh may not pass the yearly state inspection/smog test due to the exhaust passing thru the cats too fast to burn off the bad stuff. Also said that you could actually lose power on the low end which I believe to be true. Anyway he said that federal emissions laws prohibit tampering with the y-pipe and he would only touch the exhaust from the restriction back. Have any of you Texans who have replaced the y-pipe had your X inspected since replacing it? Any problems. I'm wondering if this guy knows what he is talking about. I knew it was illegal to completely remove the cats if you are driving on the streets, but I thought you could legally replace anything from the cats back.

·
on line
72 Posts
Considering the number of people on these forums who have had exhaust shops replace their y-pipes with after market units or fabricated something from scratch I have to wonder if this guy is full of shiaat. Surely all these other shops arent breaking federal law for a couple o hundred bucks, ya think? Or maybe they dont know the law. Its obvious somebody is confused, but the way laws are written these days its a wonder the attorneys can interpret them correctly, hell 2 different judges will interpret the same law 2 different ways, dont get me started.........
Think I will try another exhaust shop and see what they tell me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts