Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found the problem, bad battery, symptoms still listed for everyones future reference

2011 pro-4x six speed
just drove the thing back from steamboat last week, full tank of gas

got in, and turned key, got one click, radio, powerwindows,alarm all work, immediately got out, pulled out jumper cables and hooked to toyota matrix, started matrix, got in xterra, still get one click

is ithis just the battery? or something worse?

ps its the original battery ~22k on it

·
Registered
550 Posts
have somebody try to turn it over. get a solid metal object (hammer or big wrench) and hit your starter a bunch of times, real hard while they try to turn it over. sometimes they just won't engage, and this usually fixes it (yes this is legitimate and wont screw your starter up)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have somebody try to turn it over. get a solid metal object (hammer or big wrench) and hit your starter a bunch of times, real hard while they try to turn it over. sometimes they just won't engage, and this usually fixes it (yes this is legitimate and wont screw your starter up)
my coworker suggested this

·
Registered
550 Posts
Supposing the starter worked before the truck was parked (which I think it did) it wouldnt be a wiring issue, could be a dead battery, but the matrix jump proved it wasnt, and the electronics all working, instead of sitting at the bottom of their ranges and jittering around, led me to the next reasonable thing. There's a list of stuff that could be wrong, but you gotta start somewhere. I'd hope if it works/doesn't work he'll let us know and then we can take it from there.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Supposing the starter worked before the truck was parked (which I think it did) it wouldnt be a wiring issue, could be a dead battery, but the matrix jump proved it wasnt, and the electronics all working, instead of sitting at the bottom of their ranges and jittering around, led me to the next reasonable thing. There's a list of stuff that could be wrong, but you gotta start somewhere. I'd hope if it works/doesn't work he'll let us know and then we can take it from there.
yes, it worked before i parked the truck
the electronics seem to work
i didn't have the truck hooked up to the matrix for long (it shouldn't take long)

i took my motorcycle to work, so I'll try and figure this out tonight

also, i hooked the cables up to my battery before i hooked them to the matrix, when i tapped them they gave some good sparks, which isn't conclusive, but seems to indicate some juice in the battery

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
One of the battery terminals is either loose or corroded and not making good contact. Take them off, clean them if dirty, and then put them back on tight.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Agreed that it's likely either a bad battery or bad connection to the battery. I've had a couple of instances with my X and one with a friend's '05 Pathy, where the battery had plenty to power the truck's accessories, but not enough to turn it over. In all cases there wasn't even a weak crank, it just wouldn't.

Another possibility, since you said you're a six-speed, is that the clutch interlock switch is faulty ... there's a pad on the clutch pedal that's been known to break or get pushed out of it's mount; since it's necessary to engage the switch, the truck then doesn't know the clutch is depressed, and won't let the motor crank. Usually it takes more than a few years to see any issues on this, but it's worth checking ... both because it's easy to take a quick look, and because it sounds like maybe you've done a bit of looking on the electrical side.

Out of curiosity, when you tried to jump from the Matrix, did you leave the cables connected when you went to start the X? Did you try upping the revs of the Toyota? I once had to get a jump from a CRV at DIA, and nearly didn't get it to turn over ... had to directly connect to my negative (usually you don't want to do this, instead a ground elsewhere is preferred) and have the CRV driver up their revs a bit (like 2k) to increase their alternator output, before the X would even think about turning over.

Final thought: also a possibility that the fusible link between the battery and starter has gone bad/popped ... it's part of the positive terminal assembly, and you should be able to trace the wire back from the starter to figure out which one to look at. Unfortunately, you have to buy the whole terminal assembly to fix it, but if it is bad, you can bypass it to see if it'll start and that'll at least help you diagnose ... if you need one more thing to check.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Mine did the almost the same thing you are describing. I cleaned off the terminals and made sure everything was tight. After that, it started right up.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Mine did the almost the same thing you are describing. I cleaned off the terminals and made sure everything was tight. After that, it started right up.
That's why I mentioned it. The same thing happened on my Frontier. Kinda weird how, since the battery terminal is dirty, the starter can't draw enough juice.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fixed, bad battery

the top of one of the water adding covers was completely off (didn't see this in the dark), took the battery it, and it wouldn't even test, got a new battery, fired right up

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just a suggestion, did you try pushing the clutch bypass switch? my friends clutch switch broke after about 6k on his 2012 and he has yet to take it to the dealer to get a new one, so he has to use the clutch bypass switch on the dash to start his truck.
yes, i did try that this morning, one of the first things I tried actually

·
Registered
550 Posts
glad you got it sorted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts