Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm a college student that goes to school out of state, so no one has driven the Xterra in 4 months. I have a 2006 Xterra Manual transmission. When I came back for break, the Xterra will not start or crank so I jump start it using my parent's car. It was able to turn over and I drove it around for 15 - 20 minutes. The next day I tried to start it but no luck. I then tried to jump start it but this time no crank at all. I can see all the indicator lights on the instrumental cluster turn on and seem fine when I jump start, but the Xterra will not crank. My battery terminals are clean and have no corrosion.

Any tips or suggestions? Is it possible my starter has gone bad? :dontknow:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sure if this info helps, but the first time I jump started my Xterra I used my parents Volkswagen Jetta Sportswagen TDI and the Xterra was able to turn over. The 2nd time I jump started I used my dad's Volkswagen EOS and it's brand new so I don't know if my dad's car have enough energy for the Xterra.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Couple of things that may help (in no particular order):

- Check your battery terminal clamps, they're notorious for coming loose or for losing their ability to clamp tightly enough to the terminals ... even though the terminals may seem fine to look at them (and may even read continuity with a meter), if you can grab the wire and turn the clamp on the terminal it's too loose.

- Have your battery load tested ... four months is a long time to sit unused. Especially if it's the original battery, I suspect it may be "D. - E. - D." dead.

- The Xterra takes a fair bit of juice to crank over, it's entirely possible that the Eos did *not* have enough juice to crank it ... especially if it wasn't running at the time, and you were just trying to use the Eos battery (as opposed to the battery and alternator) to crank the truck.

- If all of those things don't check out, then it may be something else ... but that should get you started.

... and as an aside, like I said, 4 months is a long time to sit un-used ... do a bit of research on any preventative maintenance that should be performed prior to jumping back into regular use (fluid changes/swaps, tire maintenance, etc).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright thanks for the suggestions. Checked the terminals and there were not loose. My dad is thinking of getting a new battery. So there is still a chance my starter could be the issue? I just hope it's the battery is the problem.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Since you were able to jump it and get it started at least once, that'd tell me the issue is the battery, not the starter. The accessories don't draw anywhere near the power that the starter does, so it's not surprising that you get them to work. From what you describe, I'm 99% sure a new battery will have you up and running.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Batteries can short internally. Even with a jump, if the battery is bad enough, it will not start the vehicle. My $$$ is on a bad battery.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello everyone.

Thanks for the quick reply. Just swapped out the battery and the X is up and running again. All is good! Again thanks for the input and replies. Happy Holidays everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts