Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
would it be possible to mount the air filter where the stock one was so a snorkel would still work with it? (with some modification of course)
Yeah Its compleatly possible. I'v used the stock Airbox with this setup and might hook it up that way when so i can use a snorkel. Or i might just make my own snorkel for the passenger-side. Im up in the air about it. I love hearing the turbo whistle, Im a turbo junkie. The stock airbox kinda muffles that.

So i've towed a load of wood, and drove the xterra around with the compound setup and regretfully i'm being limited severely by the Mechanical Injection Pump. Its not to much more powerful then when i had the electric setup. So Im picking up a 11mm electric pump and im going to Rig up the wiring harness very bare bones, selfcontained and run that. I can Get a tune to eliminate the Maf/Egr/n75 that will alow me to run one simple wire loom. The Injector pump/temp/CPS/Oil sensor are all in the same general area. Ill keep the Other mechanical pump in the xterra primed and ready to go. It takes less than an hour to swap them out.

Reactions: Noob101

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
OK I feel like an idiot. So the Injector pump was only at like %75-%80 at Wide open throttle. I easily adjusted that and WOW i was hitting 30lbs spikes and 25lbs solid its significantly quicker. So now i think ill just get a meth kit, a new intake manifold, hit the dyno and see if I hit 300tq. Shes defiantly ready to tow a camper as is.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
TOW REPORT.

Ok I towed a 20' +2900lb camper back From Detroit Michigan successful 812 miles round trip. On the trip out I managed 35mpg and i was going between 80-90 mph the almost the whole way no problems. On my return trip my alternator gave out again Only issue this time was it was hot out and i needed the electric fan.So i just keep it at 60-65 mph the whole trip back with out an issue with no power what so ever. In comparison with the Jetta towing the pathfinder, the Jetta and pathfinder had a greater combined weight and had significant more power. The jetta itself had 160hp and 280trq that so therefore the mechanical IP will not meet my goal of 300trq. I will get a 11mm pump and switch back to electric. Althought the mechanical pump gives me no problem driving around and spinning tires over the mountain, I will retire it to a stow case in the back of the xterra primmed and ready to go. With a just a tune ill reach 300trq no problem with a 11mm pump. It will also fix the alternator issue since the Ecu will now be controlling it. As for the MPG for the return trip I do not know yet since the dash quit halfway through the trip. Ill get a number later tomorrow.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
TOW REPORT.

Ok I towed a 20' +2900lb camper back From Detroit Michigan successful 812 miles round trip. On the trip out I managed 35mpg and i was going between 80-90 mph the almost the whole way no problems. On my return trip my alternator gave out again Only issue this time was it was hot out and i needed the electric fan.So i just keep it at 60-65 mph the whole trip back with out an issue with no power what so ever. In comparison with the Jetta towing the pathfinder, the Jetta and pathfinder had a greater combined weight and had significant more power. The jetta itself had 160hp and 280trq that so therefore the mechanical IP will not meet my goal of 300trq. I will get a 11mm pump and switch back to electric. Althought the mechanical pump gives me no problem driving around and spinning tires over the mountain, I will retire it to a stow case in the back of the xterra primmed and ready to go. With a just a tune ill reach 300trq no problem with a 11mm pump. It will also fix the alternator issue since the Ecu will now be controlling it. As for the MPG for the return trip I do not know yet since the dash quit halfway through the trip. Ill get a number later tomorrow.

Reactions: Fresh Prince

·
Registered
897 Posts
So you're telling me you get better mileage towing a camper than I do rolling down a hill in neutral? Sheesh that's amazing.

Has anybody told Nissan about these nifty little things called diesel engines?

·
Premium Member
9,954 Posts
So you're telling me you get better mileage towing a camper than I do rolling down a hill in neutral? Sheesh that's amazing.

Haha they did. The new Titan xd that was supposed to get 25mpg, yea... It actually gets about 15 mpg. We can thank the US govt for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts

My understanding was that he managed 35mpg on the way out to pick up the camper and didn't list a mpg for the trip back due to some sort of error? I am wrong OP? Either way, I love the build and efficiency!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Whos gonna buy this!!! I'll put it in, its the same crank bolt face. #v10tdi

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
My understanding was that he managed 35mpg on the way out to pick up the camper and didn't list a mpg for the trip back due to some sort of error? I am wrong OP? Either way, I love the build and efficiency!
Yea i got 35 on the way out. I had a 1/4 tank when i got the battery charged maybe 400 miles 16 gallon 25mpg. Who knows.

I want that so bad lol
Lol $4500 ebay!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 · (Edited)
Honestly, probably really good. Those engines really dont generate much heat. Plus the stock xterra radiator is serious overkill for the engine. There are multiple options for oil coolers. Every time I go long distance I have a full set of tools, jack, chains, jump pack ,case of water and a tow bar when im going to buy a car. Granted thats not steel bumpers, a winch or in the moab but i'v never been known to be easy on vehicles. Infact before i got into the tdi field, vehicles rarely lasted more than a year. This has lasted 15000 miles with me beating the hell outta it. Running different turbos, tuning the a crappy mechanical pump,Long hills, and towing. Im confident a well tuned electric pump it will handle whatever is thrown at it.

In other news i picked up a 99 jetta tdi with an alh in it. It has larger injectors and a tune. I will begin ripping the engine out tomorrow to go into the pathfinder.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Ok ran Into a little bit of Luck today. Bought a 2005 Auto xterra with a blown engine right down the road. So right after I Get the pathfinder done im gonna start tracking down another Doner Tdi to swap into it. So i guess buy the end of summer I might Have a swapped Xterra Forsale. woot WOOT!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ok ran Into a little bit of Luck today. Bought a 2005 Auto xterra with a blown engine right down the road. So right after I Get the pathfinder done im gonna start tracking down another Doner Tdi to swap into it. So i guess buy the end of summer I might Have a swapped Xterra Forsale. woot WOOT!!

Now you're just showing off :)

161 - 180 of 209 Posts