Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
201 - 209 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
You could seriously start a business just like the VK swap guy did. People send their vehicles all the time to him to drop in that 5.6 V8. I sure as **** would rather have great MPG than V8 hps
This is off topic, but I noticed that you're from Gulfport. I've seen your beautiful rig before! I live on the coast as well, never thought I'd run into you on this forum heh.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
This is off topic, but I noticed that you're from Gulfport. I've seen your beautiful rig before! I live on the coast as well, never thought I'd run into you on this forum heh.
Yea I've never had anyone from down here on the forums lol. We will have to hit some trails soon!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not even close to being built. I'm still shaking out stuff from the previous owner and getting my maintenance updated! I'm still debating on how I want to set it up, but I'm leaning more towards overlanding/expedition set up than a trail rig or anything like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey!! Sorry for digging up an old thread!

I recently finished to swap my 2006 XTerra Offroad Manual with a 2004 BEW TDI engine!

The installation was pretty much the same kind of things that were done here (Custom adapter plate, Custom Flywheel adapter, sotck Nissan engine mounts)
I bought a relocation plate to re-locate the accessory bracket to clear the front diff.

I'm using an Arduino connected to the engine ECU CAN Bus and to the vehicle CAN Bus to broadcast the RPM signal and engine temp. I'm also able to control the radiator fan via the CAN Bus.
I was able to reverse-engineer the CAN Bus to trick the 4WD and VSS modules, so they recognise that an engine is there.
So the 4WD is working fine now. I haven't tried the VSS yet, but i'll keep you posted when i'll be able to.

If some are interested, i'll post more info on the CAN Data that I used to make this work!
Thanks a lot "HootIndustry" for this thread, it's been a very good source of inspiration for my build!

For now, my BEW is fully stock (100Hp, stock turbo, etc.) And i'm at 29-26mpg approx.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Nic245 Amazing!! This is exactly what I wanted to see when starting this thread.I'm glad to see another swap, with improvements to boot!!! Very interested in Arduino. Maybe that's just what the auto swap could use. I'm about to Re-wire a tuned in a BRM into my xterra. Does your cruise control work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks!!
I haven't connected the cruise control and VSS yet, but i'll probably do it this winter!
I'll use my arduino to convert the 2-wire CC from the Xterra to the WV Signals, and to generate a VSS signal. With the Arduino, I'll be able to chose the pulse frequency for the VSS, so that the engine RPM and VSS match.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nic245, this is a really cool project! Will you post some more info about how you did it and how it drives and such?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i'll definitely do . For now I don't have a lot of free time.
But in my holidays, i drove 5000 km, with 8l/100km (29.4mpg).
No big issues with the engine, I have some kind of bug in my wiring, as the engine sometimes "misfires" when warming up. I need to dig that.
I also have a few seals that leak(steering rack, transfer case etc.) but it' no big deal.
The biggest advantage is beeing able to do 800km on a single tank :D

201 - 209 of 209 Posts