Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
181 - 200 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Will the engine work with a auto transmission? Didnt think the transmission computer would work with the engine computer

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 · (Edited)
Yea it should. Im doing the wiring alittle different on the pathfinder plus i found can-bus converters. The pathfinder will be the trial. Iv already figured out afew better ways of doing things. Ill get it to work one way or another.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Im currently, Getting new plates from my buddy that dose all the CNC stuff. I gave him a template so he can replicate it once i get those back I will continue the Pathfinder, they will also be available for sale. Ill Post pictures of the new plates as soon as i get them. As for the my xterra I'v still be driving it every day, with the mechanical Pump I have about 30K on the swap. I've Towed a 21ft Camper to Virginia Beach and back and also A Golf from Buffalo NY, with no issues. I've had less issues with this swapped xterra than my 07 tdi Jetta. I've also added 275/75/16 BF A/T 10ply tires with little effect. I did get the stuff to switch back to an electric pump along with a new turbo but i'm waiting to get some cash so i can send the ECU away and get the Immobilizer delete. On a side note I am going through a divorce and might hafto sell my xterra at the beginning of nexts year. Even though i love this thing i'm not to concerned because im starting to see more and more of these xterras popping up cheap with blown engines and no one wants to pay the money to fix them. If need be ill just get another one and do the swap again. I'm completely sold on the swap. love the power and reliability of the TDI engines and the offroad/utility of these xterra.

·
Registered
140 Posts
you could do a cottage industry with this. though I dunno the legalities of doing it as a business.

I will say if you do have to sell your TDI X, I'm definitely interested.
I have an 03 Jetta TDI, that i'm coming up on 220K miles, that engine just never quits.
There are plenty of people around here that get 300-400k out of that engine.

Does make me go hmm. I have a TDI, if I find an MT Xterra with a blown engine, hmm...
Only problem is I have zero skills or tools to pull something like this off. If you are interested down the road of doing a swap for someone for a price (of course) I bet there would be takers on here, myself included.

·
Registered
556 Posts
you could do a cottage industry with this. though I dunno the legalities of doing it as a business.

I have an 03 Jetta TDI, that i'm coming up on 220K miles, that engine just never quits.

Does make me go hmm. I have a TDI, if I find an MT Xterra with a blown engine, hmm...
Only problem is I have zero skills or tools to pull something like this off. If you are interested down the road of doing a swap for someone for a price (of course) I bet there would be takers on here, myself included.
though down many roads for me still, ditto. would like to see this become a "thing"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep. This is the answer I have been looking for. Got a 2013 Pro-4x. My goal since my old 07 X has been to get over 20mpg continuously. Just found this thread and have to say WOW!!!! I'd be happy to pay for a swap and I'll bring the Xterra and the engine (just not sure which one I'd need). I have a 2012 VW TDI in my driveway that VW is going to buy back in three weeks. Considering pulling the VW engine. Wonder if they would notice an Xterra engine sitting under their buyback car? LOL.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·

Yeah its honestly not that hard the hardest part is taking out the Stock engine and taking off the entire front end. Your pretty close I wouldn't mind seeing more of these things with tdi engines in them its a great combo.

It would appear that life has gotten in the way for him. Given his explanation above, and that he hasn't been back since making that post.
Yes very much so i've been busy getting by haven't had much time for the xterra. I did put the compound turbos back on routed it different to avoid the heat issue. Been running great its currently running on a stock ECU so no crazy power. but its very responsive. No matter what gear or RPM i have Boost. I should be picking up a Land Rover 300tdi Mechanical pump soon from the shop. its rebuilt with a 12mm shaft. should be about to dyno +300trq when i get it on. the pumps are nothing to swap out with the engine facing the correct way in the engine bay.

I did remove the front motor mount, put the stock xterra motor mounts in replacing the Mercedes Diesel mounts. I reinforced everything and they are doing just fine. it makes things alot easier for others to do the swap. ill be able to replicate the motor mounts Easily. also on the Pathfinder I made the one motor mount extra large to fit the stock A/c compressor on it. Ill get pictures later tonight or tomorrow.

I've thought about selling this afew times and honestly id probably take the right offer. But I don't think im going to list it. I don't even know what Id ask for it. I wouldnt mind some Non bias opinion on a price id ask for mine or another swapped xterra.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
You could seriously start a business just like the VK swap guy did. People send their vehicles all the time to him to drop in that 5.6 V8. I sure as **** would rather have great MPG than V8 hps

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think the best thing to do is to get a part list together and figure out material cost, (stuff you would provide for the swap).
Then figure out how much of your time it would take.

Realistically I can see you getting about 1K in profit per swap. I'm assuming about 10-20 hours of wrench time for you to pull something like this off for someone.
Figuring that subsequent times you get more efficient at it.
maybe more? I'm kinda spit balling there. If it's something that takes you 40-80 hours to do, realistically it could get pretty cost prohibitive for someone to pay you fairly for that much time.
I don't think $50 an hour is unreasonable at all to charge for this, expensive mechanics can range up to $100 an hour (or more depending where you live).

A big thing is what kind of support would you be willing to provide after you do a swap for someone?
i.e. if something breaks related to the swap there is a good chance the person would be coming back to you for repairs.

SInce you've found them before, how hard is it to find a Xterra with a blown engine? Not sure how to go about finding that to be honest, other then the local junk yards and they don't have squat for Xterras.
Not even sure how much an Xterra with a blown engine would run. Guess I don't know a lot about this ;) I do know I can get a VLH TDI engine off Ebay for about $800 with less then 80k in miles on it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
When are we getting a video? :)
When it hits the Dyno with the new injector pump

I think the best thing to do is to get a part list together and figure out material cost, (stuff you would provide for the swap).
Then figure out how much of your time it would take.

Realistically I can see you getting about 1K in profit per swap. I'm assuming about 10-20 hours of wrench time for you to pull something like this off for someone.
Figuring that subsequent times you get more efficient at it.
maybe more? I'm kinda spit balling there. If it's something that takes you 40-80 hours to do, realistically it could get pretty cost prohibitive for someone to pay you fairly for that much time.
I don't think $50 an hour is unreasonable at all to charge for this, expensive mechanics can range up to $100 an hour (or more depending where you live).

A big thing is what kind of support would you be willing to provide after you do a swap for someone?
i.e. if something breaks related to the swap there is a good chance the person would be coming back to you for repairs.

SInce you've found them before, how hard is it to find a Xterra with a blown engine? Not sure how to go about finding that to be honest, other then the local junk yards and they don't have squat for Xterras.
Not even sure how much an Xterra with a blown engine would run. Guess I don't know a lot about this ;) I do know I can get a VLH TDI engine off Ebay for about $800 with less then 80k in miles on it.
I can definitely do a parts list. its honestly not much it only gets expensive when you start adding Nozzles, Turbos, Pump or a tune. those in itself can cost almost as much as the tune. I can provide Motor mounts and bell housing adapter anytime now Id probably only charge $500 with all the bolts/nuts/washers/lock-tight. Im curious to see how the pathfinder preforms with the auto transmission. As for doing the swap for people Im not to keen on that with the way things are going i could not guarantee a completion date. Also even tho I could work I work as a mechanic I vary rarely work on vehicles for money. I usually only work on other peoples if they are in dire need or they are working on it with me.

Although I do buy vehicles fix them and sell them quite often. I've been seeing these xterra's with a blown engine more latley and run between 1300-2000. I've been considering getting a dealer licenses I live nexts to a very large auto auction and they go off on the low end between $2000-3000. Adding the cost of the swap between 2000-3500 nozzels, turbo, and tuned, selling these swaps could net more of a profit with out a timeline hack or stress of working on vehicles. Its Never good to rush swaps. Its far better to have time for that extra weld, or mounting stuff.

I would always be game to help anyone over a weekend with this swap. Its really not to difficult just alot of wrench time getting the old engine out.

Reactions: AlbatrossCafe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Still following this thread and considering purchasing a 1.9l TDI motor and an older Pathfinder (2nd gen of course ;) )

However, I am just going to leave this here to disprove some of the "MPG myths" running around on this forum.

The link is from Cummins about maximizing fuel efficiency and the resulting tests results they have found. There is a lot of "thread theory" on here about maximizing mpg's that really do not pertain to actual or realized mpg gainz...that said, this appears to be a "psuedo-guide" in the search for hidden mpg's....

Posting it here since this is the thread pertaining to a diesel motor going in to a gas Xterra. However, the rules still apply.

Cummins diesel "Secrets of MPG's"

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Hey Im Off work now for the Winter and I've been able to work on this stuff again. First off im selling this xterra now its done. Lol i really dont want to Since im pretty much done working on it and I love where its at but I need to use the money to invest into equipment. So I will turn to my Pathfinder and my other xterra. I really didnt know what to ask for my xterra im asking Im 9,500 the swap alone are cheap but the nozzles turbo tune and other supporting mods get expensive quick. Let me know what you think if thats reasonable.building the pathfinder for myself Im putting a ALH in it with a mechanical Pump and a holset compound system. I Got a titan with 4.10s that im gonna put into the pathfinder and i will also swap out the auto for a 6mt. I was really surprised how cheap that transmission is. So even though i like this xterra the pathfinder will be pretty nice aswell. As for the other xterra I have a BRM from my old 2006 Jetta thats already tuned and is a pretty powerful and efficient engine. that engine is going into the other xterra i bought. I will try to use the auto transmission first just to see if its possible so if others want to do the swap they can. Good thing about the BRM engine is that the AC unit will clear the front diff. Downside it dosnt have powersteering. thats not all bad tho because i realized you need too use the xterra Power steering pump. The bracket made on the ALH is very simple it almost fits in the stock location. All in all i think the most challenging part of this swap is the motor mounts being that its a 4x4 they hafto be Strong. its hard to get enough bolts to make that happen plus all the holes usally need to be drilled and re tapped.

Im working today to finish mounting up the AC. I had to make a new motor mount and put the Stock radiator and condenser back in. Therefore i had to remove the duel battery system and relocate all the intercooler plumbing. I also re routed the top coolant line. i was lucky because i was able to just flip the outlet on the back of the engine to go the opposite direction. All AC line will fit where the pumps located now except for the driver side outlet.

As for the tune it was a eye opener its pretty fast now. Im waiting for them to ship me afew more tuned chips its like a smoke screen now. but i often catch myself doing 80-90mph on the freeway. there pretty fast shipping stuff back so im looking forward to not smoking the person besides me at the stoplight. I wanted to get a new intake but they arnt available yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
You were finally able to get the axels from your dad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Yea I finally talked him into not putting the izusu 3.1 diesel back in the titan. Instead i traded him my old rust free reg cab 4x4 f150 with a dump bed . Heck its lighter than the xterra. But ill put that 3.1 in it for him and ill do the swap on the pathfinder. Im probably not gonna do a rear solid axle swap on the pathfinder. Ive only seen 4.08 gears for the pathfinder so I dunno yet. Lol honestly id rather just keep the xterra and do the titan swap in that. Who knows if its not sold by time the pathfinders done then thats what will happen.

181 - 200 of 209 Posts