Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I was considering removing the rear sway bar to add some articulation. my question is does it really add anything noticeable? or is it almost useless? thanks!

·
on line
22,508 Posts
so I was considering removing the rear sway bar to add some articulation. my question is does it really add anything noticeable? or is it almost useless? thanks!
From my experience: I noticed considerable and welcome amounts of extra flex off-road and little to no negative on road consequence. ymmv

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Do it, it's like a whole new truck. Just be ready for more traction control and decent amount of body roll if you are on stockish suspension. I think the guys on HD springs don't get the same amount of body roll.

If you are at all worried about it, look into fabbing a disconnect system up. I never saw a bolt on option for the Xterra but, I also didn't look too hard.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
If you are at all worried about it, look into fabbing a disconnect system up. I never saw a bolt on option for the Xterra but, I also didn't look too hard.
There is not a current quick disconnect system.

.....what exactly where you planning on fabbing up for a disconnect system? Not trying to rain on any parades here, but that's easier typed out than actually made to work.

As for the rear sway bar, I saw ZERO change in the way the truck handled. In my extremely exact and scientific opinion, that rear sway bar accomplishes a whole lot of nothing and it would be ridiculous to try and make a quick disconnect system for it.
This is all just my opinion though.

·
on line
22,508 Posts

.....what exactly where you planning on fabbing up for a disconnect system? Not trying to rain on any parades here, but that's easier typed out than actually made to work.
I dont recommend it, but FYI there has been a disconnect kit for the rear sway bar available for many years now.

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/xterra-rear-sway-bar-quick-disconnects-p-4508.html

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay so I just spent about 10 minutes removing the sway bar, and I tested it for articulation. it does seem to have about 2-3" more articulation, so that was kinda cool to see.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
okay so I just spent about 10 minutes removing the sway bar, and I tested it for articulation. it does seem to have about 2-3" more articulation, so that was kinda cool to see.
As I said, it makes a big difference on the trail.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

As for the rear sway bar, I saw ZERO change in the way the truck handled. In my extremely exact and scientific opinion, that rear sway bar accomplishes a whole lot of nothing and it would be ridiculous to try and make a quick disconnect system for it.
This is all just my opinion though.
I could see the front being tough since the links are so short. The rear would be easy though.

That's weird man, I noticed a huge difference in the off road and on road manners with the front and rear removed. Granted, I also had an AAL and longer rear shocks but, evasive manuvers on the highway got much more interesting with them off. My traction control also went nuts. Did you get rid of yours early in your mods?

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I could see the front being tough since the links are so short. The rear would be easy though.

That's weird man, I noticed a huge difference in the off road and on road manners with the front and rear removed. Granted, I also had an AAL and longer rear shocks but, evasive manuvers on the highway got much more interesting with them off. My traction control also went nuts. Did you get rid of yours early in your mods?
The front makes a big difference in on-roading handling. We were all talking about the rear. The rear only makes a very small difference. I keep my front on because of this, as its my dd.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'll have to try it, just removing the rear on the new X. I do know that the couple times I've had it out so far, every time I kick myself for not pulling them before I left the house. I think they ride like crap with them on.

I was laughing at the fact that you can almost get a three wheeling pic on a speed bump with the factory set up.:laughing3:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll have to try it, just removing the rear on the new X. I do know that the couple times I've had it out so far, every time I kick myself for not pulling them before I left the house. I think they ride like crap with them on.

I was laughing at the fact that you can almost get a three wheeling pic on a speed bump with the factory set up.:laughing3:
lol yeah stock there really isn't much articulation. well it's decent but the sway bar made a bigger difference than i had anticipated. and removal really wasn't bad. the mud flaps were much more annoying to remove lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
lol yeah stock there really isn't much articulation. well it's decent but the sway bar made a bigger difference than i had anticipated. and removal really wasn't bad. the mud flaps were much more annoying to remove lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I picked mine up from the dealer, drove it straight home a de-flaped it that night. They are great if all you do is mild stuff since they save your rockers from the rocks kicked up from the tires. If you do tougher stuff, they kill your rockers/fenders.:dontknow:

If you are even thinking you need to remove swaybars, the flaps gotta go for sure:iconbiggrin:

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Now when you take off the front sway bar that's a big change in how it handles. The rear like everyone else said not much of a noticed change just better articulation. Now if you were going to tow a trailer I imagine there would be some noticeable change. Take it off give it a drive and you wont even know its missing.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I don't miss having either sway bar installed. I noticed a difference for like a week but now its become normal. Adapted my driving slightly...

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
My rear has been off for 4k miles and I notice it every day. My wife has yet to say a word about it. Guess that's the mechanic in me noticing something is different. It's not noticeable enough to reinstall it, especially since my last vehicle was a coil sprung rear end without a sway bar.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My rear has been off for 4k miles and I notice it every day. My wife has yet to say a word about it. Guess that's the mechanic in my noticing something is different. It's not noticeable enough to reinstall it, especially since my last vehicle was a coil sprung rear end without a sway bar.
lol I just noticed a slight bit of more roll and it seemed a little bouncier. but I don't know if I was looking for a problem or if it really did change. but, needless to say, it's not worth the re-installation. especially for the difference it does make off road.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts