Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some discussion on upgrading the steering on the gen 1 X's, but I haven't seen much regarding the gen 2's. Are the gen 2 steering components generally stronger than the gen 1's?

·
on line
1,113 Posts
our steering components are pretty stout, I haven't heard much about breakage except for a couple guys running 35s have had the steering rack break.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
our steering components are pretty stout, I haven't heard much about breakage except for a couple guys running 35s have had the steering rack break.
Yep, but running tires that far out of factory spec (and doing what you would be doing with tires that size), I wouldn't call that an issue :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
First gens utilized a center link and pitman setup backed by small parts. This required bracing the hinge points and upgrading the thin sections such as the TRA's prone to damage.

This was the second time his Tie Rod Adjuster bent while running 33's and playing on only greens.

With the second gen, it went with a rack and pinion setup. Fewer parts with larger diameter ends.

33 are usually not a problem with this newer system.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
4,434 Posts
About the only worthwhile upgrade I would consider is to add a better power steering fluid cooler in place of the stock loop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts