Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well guys this is my first post here! I have been a member here for awhile but since i saving money and working my way through college I havnt been able to make any mods and therefore have nothing to post about.

So on valentine's day I was driving my GF into the city for dinner, going about 50mph there was a deer on the side of the road so I slammed on the brakes and simultaneously hit the 4ways. The guy coming the other way does the exact same thing and we both stop safely. Deer wanders across the road and just as I hit the gas to start moving BAM some moron in a Kia Forte is texting and rearends me full out at 40+mph.

So now over a week later the X is sitting at a collision center waiting for my lazy*ss insurance company to get an adjuster out there to look at it.

Damage includes: rear bumper and bumper ends, rear right leaf pack and shackle (so both need replaced in my opinion), exhaust (at least catback is bent don't know about headers and downpipe), rear liftgate, right taillight, spare tire (which I think actually prevented more damage by absorbing alot of force), and some possible mild frame damage (nothing major since it is still tracking straight and all body panels are still aligned perfectly).

I have no real fear of it being totaled since it is a $20k truck and my estimates (including labor) put the repair at about $5k maximum. What do you guys think? Also is there any way to make my insurance company hurry up since I am under 25 years old I can't have a rental car! so I have been walking a mile to classes everyday and 3 miles to work!!

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Ask for a check from the insurance company. Both times I've dealt with insurance they've written me checks. (I'm in college as well but they gave me a rental car the second incident) One was for someone driving the wrong way down a one-way and hit me (his fault) and the other was a claim for hail damage.

But I was able to take the money and fix it myself and save a ton of money. Also, this would be the perfect time to pick up an aftermarket bumper like those guys said!

·
Registered
630 Posts
First, that completely sucks. Sorry to hear that it happened. Text-drivers should be forced to play frogger across a highway full of people who are ALL texting.

That being said, I don't see how a 2007 is worth $20k. Also, if the damage went into your leafs then the frame might be bent a little, which would often total the vehicle so you should at least be prepared for some bad news.

Your insurance company sucks. :( The first thing out of my company's mouth is "Is anyone hurt" and the second is "Your policy authorizes you for a rental car. Do you need one?". I've never been left hanging for days. A good insurance company is worth a little extra coin. Are you sure you can't get a rental car just because you are under 25? What does your insurance company says about that? Can they help you out?

Even if you and your girlfriend feel fine today, do not settle any kind of pain/injury claim with the other driver's insurance. They will hound you to death to get you to quickly admit everyone is fine and waive liability. Don't do it. You legally have a lot of time for an injury claim, and a 40 mph+ impact can take a bit of time to manifest itself in your neck and back. Wait to make sure you know the extent of your injuries, if you have any. Hopefully you don't.

You have described a lot of damage there - more than you probably want to take on yourself especially since you need the truck for work and cannot afford the time to have the rear end pulled apart while things get straightened by you. On the other hand as others have said, it may be a good time to upgrade to another bumper if you want to go down that route. Keep in mind that the aftermarket bumpers take months sometimes to be built, so you will have to figure that out.

Sucks all around. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Why arent you calling the other guy's insurance? Get rental and get to the doctor you may be injured. Your 2007 isnt worth $20k in any shape.

Well guys this is my first post here! I have been a member here for awhile but since i saving money and working my way through college I havnt been able to make any mods and therefore have nothing to post about.

So on valentine's day I was driving my GF into the city for dinner, going about 50mph there was a deer on the side of the road so I slammed on the brakes and simultaneously hit the 4ways. The guy coming the other way does the exact same thing and we both stop safely. Deer wanders across the road and just as I hit the gas to start moving BAM some moron in a Kia Forte is texting and rearends me full out at 40+mph.

So now over a week later the X is sitting at a collision center waiting for my lazy*ss insurance company to get an adjuster out there to look at it.

Damage includes: rear bumper and bumper ends, rear right leaf pack and shackle (so both need replaced in my opinion), exhaust (at least catback is bent don't know about headers and downpipe), rear liftgate, right taillight, spare tire (which I think actually prevented more damage by absorbing alot of force), and some possible mild frame damage (nothing major since it is still tracking straight and all body panels are still aligned perfectly).

I have no real fear of it being totaled since it is a $20k truck and my estimates (including labor) put the repair at about $5k maximum. What do you guys think? Also is there any way to make my insurance company hurry up since I am under 25 years old I can't have a rental car! so I have been walking a mile to classes everyday and 3 miles to work!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
hope your back hurts. just sayin. happened to a buddy of mine and he gets 12 grand a month for the next 60 years.

·
Registered
630 Posts
hope your back hurts. just sayin. happened to a buddy of mine and he gets 12 grand a month for the next 60 years.
I hope you're not suggesting he claims a fake injury, cause that would be a douchey thing to do and effects all of our rates. And to hope someone really gets a back injury isn't any less douchey.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I'd call his insurance and if they refuse to give you a rental then taxi wherever you need to go and get it in writing they will reimburse you.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Soft tissue injuries are hard to prove or disprove. The lawsuit lottery is a way of life in NJ and I'm sure elsewhere too. If he were hhit at 40 mph he should definitely get checked out as there may be injuries that will show later

I hope you're not suggesting he claims a fake injury, cause that would be a douchey thing to do and effects all of our rates. And to hope someone really gets a back injury isn't any less douchey.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We both did go to the hospital the next morning and we are fine. about the 20k... ya it was an over estimate lol but i love that truck so it's worth it to me haha :geek:

about the frame damage i already talked to the garage and they told me they had taken a pretty good look at it and they thought it was 100% repairable. that being said, it is only word of mouth and not a fact. but i did talk to the insurance company about the rental and they said that my parents would have to come sign for it... which is a 4 hour drive each way. so nope no rental car. but i am considering a bike lol it is a good idea.

I actually have loved my insurance in the past, this is my first accident but my family has had several and they have always had an adjuster out the next day or the day after, I dont know what is going on with them. :violent1:

And I am really happy that we are both ok. the other guys car was demolished and he was pretty badly hurt (ill post a pic of the cars if i can figure out how to blur the license plates the xterra held up incredibly well), just a thumbs up to the quality and strength of the Xterra!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Ask for a check from the insurance company. Both times I've dealt with insurance they've written me checks. (I'm in college as well but they gave me a rental car the second incident) One was for someone driving the wrong way down a one-way and hit me (his fault) and the other was a claim for hail damage.

But I was able to take the money and fix it myself and save a ton of money. Also, this would be the perfect time to pick up an aftermarket bumper like those guys said!
This x1000. Grab some GPAXers after getting the stuff and make a mod day out of it.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Most rental cars places will rent to under 25 - you just have to pay an added fee. Who is telling you that you can't rent a car? I would call around to the other rental car places. If not, then I would call the dealer and see if you get it fixed there maybe they can hook you up.

Also, the other guys insurance should be paying for everything, unless your in a no fault state. My wife was hit a few months ago. We don't have rental car coverage but they other insurance company paid for everything. I suppose its state specific.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Who is telling you that you can't rent a car? I would call around to the other rental car places.
I just took the insurance company's word for it haha and the other guy's insurance is paying for it I just am not calling them directly, I am dealing with my insurance and then they settle it with the other guy's. This is the way my pops taught me to do it lol and he has always makes out pretty well. Anyway I guess I will talk to some rental companies but the bottom line is that I would rather walk 10 miles a day than pay for a rental out of my pocket so if my insurance company says they wont take care of it then I will play it safe.

Thanks for the advice guys it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh and I don't really have the resources to do all that work especially if there is frame damage. I have a floor jack and stands, and basic tools so I could do r&r on bumper, springs and door no problem but any frame work would way out of my league

1 - 20 of 51 Posts