Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last 2 days my X has not been wanting to start... I have a new battery. It will just click when I try to turn it over... Then I wait a few and try again and it starts just fine! Weird thing is that when this happens the trip odometer resets itself but the radio keeps all the presets?! WTF! Help please!:violent1:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I had the same issue recently, turned out to be a loose negative terminal.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
How are your battery connections and ground wire?
Posted via Mobile Device
Clicking means it's probably the battery in some way. Either it's dying/dead/otherwise not charging, or your terminals have stretched out (my brand-new X wore out its terminals in about two years).
I had the same issue recently, turned out to be a loose negative terminal.
This ... check your terminals. If you can move the clamps by hand on the posts, they're too loose.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked... Terminals are fine! Battery at full charge. Grounds look good. No loose terminals at all. Still have the same prob tho sometimes when I try to start it chugs like it wants to start and doesn't. Come back and boom!! It starts and the trip Odometer is reset but radio presets and clock are still normal?! :confused: Are Xterras known for electrical probs? Dunno.

·
on line
2,047 Posts
i would start with simple things...... remove and clean grounds next to battery on inside of fender ..... there is another one on other fender.
look up ipdm relay swap...... if it stops acting up then that's the problem....if that does not fix the problem then it could be your cam sensors...there is 2 of them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would start with simple things...... remove and clean grounds next to battery on inside of fender ..... there is another one on other fender.
look up ipdm relay swap...... if it stops acting up then that's the problem....if that does not fix the problem then it could be your cam sensors...there is 2 of them.
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61920

F**K me running... Grounds and contacts are clean.. I cant understand how this could be a issue..

·
on line
2,362 Posts
Not all new batteries are good batteries. Get that new battery tested.

·
Registered
272 Posts
is it really cold there? if so it may be your temp sensor going bad. If it starts and chugs, hesitates, may cutoff, only in bitterly cold weather this may be the issue. Just a thought though.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
I would make sure that you really check your electrical system to make sure that you are not having some kind of electical issue before you go and start throwing out money on parts that don't even need to be replaced. You could have a faulty battery, a going out alternator or some kind of parasitic draw on it. Also one thing that you could check is to make sure that you have the truck all the way in park. A buddy of mine asked me to go out to his house to help figure out the reason that he couldn't get his truck to start. He pulled his starter to find out that it was on it's way out so he went and got it replaced. Installed it and it still wouldn't want to start. Only to find out that the truck wasn't set in Park.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its not the battery I had tested it. The terminals are tight and grounds have good clean contact. The vehicle is in park when I try to start it. I have NOT had to jump it to get it started... everytime it would start after a few minutes. Trip odometer is the only thing resetting itself. It is really cold here in illinois was -7 last night but again its not the battery.

·
on line
2,362 Posts
What's the CCA of this new battery? They may have sold you an undersized battery.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If it's from Nissan, it should be under warranty. Take it back and tell them it isn't working and you don't know why.

·
on line
2,047 Posts
My ipdm relay acted up in the winter cold weather at grand canyon.....do the temp ipdm relay swap
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I would check the contacts again. Maybe check for corrosion on the positive side. I had this issue. Even with a new battery and new terminals. I thought the connections were tight. The positive side had weird corrosion that was just enough to kept it from getting good contact all the time. Same symptoms.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts