Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any families here that have an Xterra and a Nissan truck (Frontier or Titan) in the stable?

We have an '11 Pro4X as the family hauler; I drive a dilapidated '99 Outback to work; and my 342whp '08 Forester XT is the garage queen. My Outback is becoming a maintenance hog (needs new ball joints, steering rack, EGR, tranny's slipping, leaks ATF, etc), and going fast in the Forester is losing it's appeal now that I have kids.

I've been thinking about getting rid of the two deathtraps (Subarus) and getting a Nissan truck; most likely a crew cab Titan. A few dealerships in the area have significant discounts on '13 Titans ($7-9k off MSRP). The cheapest one I've found is ~$28k.

So, thoughts? :drink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Before I picked up another X, I had an '06 CC Titan. I LOVED the truck. More space than you can use, more power (from a stocker) than you'll need and if you so choose- a TON of options. The MPG's aren't far off of the X, but definitely worse by a few. For a full size pick up it has a great turn radius. The cons are that the bed space is limited if you're hauling Dirt Bikes or the like, and as I said, the MPG's. The VK56DE is as reliable as they come and if that's what you're in the market for, I'd recommend it all the way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I picked up another X, I had an '06 CC Titan. I LOVED the truck. More space than you can use, more power (from a stocker) than you'll need and if you so choose- a TON of options. The MPG's aren't far off of the X, but definitely worse by a few. For a full size pick up it has a great turn radius. The cons are that the bed space is limited if you're hauling Dirt Bikes or the like, and as I said, the MPG's. The VK56DE is as reliable as they come and if that's what you're in the market for, I'd recommend it all the way.

Thanks for the info - always great to get people's real-world impressions. If I get a Titan, it'd be my daily driver - 30-40 miles/day for work and errands. It'd also get some use hauling stuff to/from Home Depot and the dump. As the kids get older, it'd become our camping/towing vehicle.

·
Registered
550 Posts
we have a titan, 2006. watch out for the rear axle. they tend to go. axle was too leightweight for the truck (and still is). best to replace it with a beefier one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we have a titan, 2006. watch out for the rear axle. they tend to go. axle was too leightweight for the truck (and still is). best to replace it with a beefier one.
Good to know about the rear axle. Is that still the case, or did Nissan ever fix the issue?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Xterra and 2008 PRO 4X Titan here, what exactly is your question? Like pros and cons of Titans /Frontiers or?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a 2008 X, father-in-law has a 2002 Frontier with less than 40,000 miles, it is a perfect match, we can haul stuff and we can be comfortable on a long road trip.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Xterra and 2008 PRO 4X Titan here, what exactly is your question? Like pros and cons of Titans /Frontiers or?
I'm mostly looking for people's impressions and advice on certain years/models to avoid. i.e. I didn't know the Frontier had a horrid turning radius. I'm fairly certain that if I get a truck, I'd go for the Titan.

2 Xterras (2012 and 2013), 1 2006 NISMO CC 4WD, 2 Patrols projects (1963 shown and in garage 1967), and sons rolled 2003 Frontier SAS KC in the back yard (needs new cab)
That's quite a collection! :notworthy:

Had a 2002 sc with my current 2007..got rid of the 2002..super gas at these prices was sick...
Yeah, gas is always a factor. I drive 30-40 miles/day for work and ~10-12k annually. I'm already paying for gas/insurance for 3 cars, so consolidating to 2 cars should offset the Titan's worse gas mileage.

I have a 2008 X, father-in-law has a 2002 Frontier with less than 40,000 miles, it is a perfect match, we can haul stuff and we can be comfortable on a long road trip.

That's some low mileage for an '08! Our '11 Pro4X only has 14k on it! :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
378 Posts
well, one thing you could watch for is vibrations. There is this mysterious "vibration problem" with some Titans. Unfortunately we are struggling with this too with our TITAN, pretty annoying :-(

·
on line
951 Posts
I'm hoping to join soon. I plan on keeping my Xterra-Off-Road and buying a new crew-cab long-bed Frontier in the spring.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I have not owned a Titan but have seen quite a few come through the shop. The biggest thing ai see is it seems like the interiors fall apart. Sun visors that won't stay up, broken door panels, power seats inop, window regulators....

I don't know the history of these trucks so that is just my 3rd party observation.

·
Registered
550 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2012 Pro-4x Xterra and a 2004 Nissan Titan with 250,000 miles. Replaced the rear end last year...they are the weak link of the Titans.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i.e. I didn't know the Frontier had a horrid turning radius.
If you need the space and capacity, go with a Titan. If you don't need it, a Frontier is a good choice. But yes, Frontiers have the approximate turn radius of a bus.

·
Registered
156 Posts
hat's quite a collection! :notworthy:
My son is driving a Sentra while his Frontier is not running. It is currently in my backyard covered up. His wife is in a 2012 Altima. And my dad is driving a 2012 Titan. I should line everybody up one day for a panoramic pic.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
If you need the space and capacity, go with a Titan. If you don't need it, a Frontier is a good choice. But yes, Frontiers have the approximate turn radius of a bus.
I honestly think my 08 Silverado was easier to park than my 09 frontier. A normal turning radius is something you don't appreciate till you no longer have it.

The frontier was a good truck though. Comparing a frontier to an Xterra, they have their pluses and minuses. One positive about the Frontier is that they handle great for a truck. I liked the spray in bed liner with extender and utilitrac. The back windows roll all the way down too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts