Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 Xterra has a new problem where I'm driving along and the engine just cuts out. So far, I've been able to get it to restart but I know one of these times I won't. The battery was replaced 2-3 weeks ago and is reading a good voltage. I'm thinking maybe alternator or ignition? Also, the second time it quit on me, the VDCoff/SLIP lights did not clear like they should after 10 minutes. I'm assuming I should get this thing to the dealership before I find myself stranded on the side of the road?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Yes! But also check your battery terminals. Mine became loose over time (they just stretch out) and caused my X to shut off mid-trail once (I think you were there, in fact).

I don't know where you go for service, but Quirk Nissan in Quincy Center has treated me well and never questioned my mods or activities with the truck.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blah! I just had the front brakes done, heat shield re-attached, battery replaced, and inspection. Are the 2014's out yet....?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the IPDM recall only affected Xterras built through 2006? (mine's an 07)

Sounds like the IPDM recall to me, search for it on here. A dealership can just replace the ECM relay, you should check to see if that has been done to your truck before.

·
Registered
918 Posts
^^ I was going to say the exact same thing. Cam positioning sensor passenger more than likely. Easy to replace. Just a PITA to reach.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, when cruising at low speeds, when I come off the accelerator completely the X jumps a bit, kind of like what you get when the idle is too high. Does that match anything mentioned above?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yes, is your SES light on? If so go to advanced auto or some place that and have them read the code. If it is the cam positioning sensor you should have the SES light on.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, is your SES light on? If so go to advanced auto or some place that and have them read the code. If it is the cam positioning sensor you should have the SES light on.
Yes my SES is on, but it would be anyway since I have the fuel level sensor problem.

·
Registered
918 Posts
LOL been there done that. Have them pull the codes anyways. You should get two codes then. One for the fuel sensor and one for the positoning sensor.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Remember that code is not always an exact answer unless you like changing out parts. This is just a direction to start looking at to figure out the route cause of the problem. You'll want to hook up a scope to the cam sensor and take a look at it. It could have a bad connector or a short in the wire that is causing the sensor to stop reading. It could be a couple of things. So don't just run out and get that sensor first. Just friendly advice. Also you'll want to check for voltage going to the sensor along with checking for ground. Then check the sensor for resistance. If you do pull out the sensor check for any kind of chips or any damage to the sensor itself. It could also be throwing this fault because of the teeth on the camshaft may be bent, damaged or missing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the good advice Glucola. I hope, for the $280 they charged me, that the Nissan dealership did all of that ;)

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Thank you for the good advice Glucola. I hope, for the $280 they charged me, that the Nissan dealership did all of that ;)
That's not too bad. All Data was showing a suggested price of around 98 dollars for the part.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts