Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my car back form towing company and now it drives with a clunking sound when I hit 40mph.
Plus when I switch to 4H, it clicks like crazy so I get scared and turned it back to 2WD.

Is there a possibility that they messed up the tranny/transfer case towing it without putting it in neutral?

Eventhough the car is under warranty and they fix it for free... Is there a way I can get a check from the
Tow company for incompetence towing?

This is a complete nightmare! Xterra only has 4K mikes too argghh!!

At suggestions?? Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
Why did it get towed? If it was your fault, I don't think you can hold the tow company responsible, their job was just to move the vehicle, not to do it correctly, but if you were paying the tow company, that is a different story.

B

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I know the manual says Xterra's should always be towed with all wheels on dolly's or a flatbed and never towed with two wheels on the road so there is a chance something has been screwed up.

Good luck.

It's stories like this that make me want to put a sticker on my truck saying to tow with a flat bed only, not that it'll stop them towing it wrong but just so I can then complain after if it's ever towed.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was actually my fault cuz I forgot to put my apartment parking ticket on the windshield. Tow company said they towed it from the rear with the front wheels rolling. Do I have somewhat of a case for reimbursemt from the tow company if warranty doesn't cover it?

Just curious... How bad is it if the xterra was towed with the front wheels rolling and not on a flatbed? Catastrophe or an easy fix? I'm totally bummed out today.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. You screwed up but they should know better. I do belive that kills the T case on our rigs:(
I know I screws up but if they're a legit tow company.. Shouldn't they know better to slimjim my rig and at least put it in neutral?? What do think.. Do I have a case? Still bummed out!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
We do not have "locking front hubs" so our drive line is always spinning including the front differential, however the only time the front has power is when the Transfer Case is in 4hi or 4lo, all other times it is in neutral. So, yes you can jack up the front end and spin the tires freely, but you will also see the front drive shaft rotating with it into the TC.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We do not have "locking front hubs" so our drive line is always spinning including the front differential, however the only time the front has power is when the Transfer Case is in 4hi or 4lo, all other times it is in neutral. So, yes you can jack up the front end and spin the tires freely, but you will also see the front drive shaft rotating with it into the TC.
Hmmm really? Then what could possibly go wrong from getting towed? Seems like my 4WD system is jacked cuz it clicked like crazy when I switched it to 4H.

21SF - thanks man.. I'm totally depressed right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Aren't educated tow drivers supposed to remove the drive shaft or something if they are towing a 4x4 with a conventional truck instead of a flatbed? I'm pretty sure there is a 4x4 emblem on the vehicle unless you took it off. I could be wrong but I swore I was told that or read it somewhere.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts