Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I posted this up in the general section as well, then found this Canadian section so i thought i would try it here as well - may be more fitting since i live in Ontario.

I'm shopping at possibly buying an 07 Xterra and was wondering how their reliabiliy is.

I will not be off roading, just need it for getting through some heavy snow we get up here in Canada sometimes in the winter months. I've heard the diffs can be weak and possibly the transfer case?

Not sure if this weakness will apply to my driving since it will be onroad mostly - driven in 2wd for most of the year and only 4wd when the heavy snow falls.

thanks all in advance for you input/help.

·
on line
1,744 Posts
Not knowing what you're planning to do with the X other then not offroading I'd tell you to look a AWD type vehicles such as CRV and RAV or Subaru...that said if the X tickles you the most then go for it, just know you'll pay more in gas and more for tires when it's time to replace them. As for reliability I've had a few issues early on but they were resolved at the dealer and were not deal breakers. I driven from Nova Scotia to Edmonton to Utah and to Ontario without issue. In so far as the weak diff issue shouldn't be a problem. The issue seems to manifest mostly under offroad 0 traction wheel spin followed by max traction (ie you have a tire in the air spinning which slams intothe ground and gets traction)

As a comparison my wife's echo with 4 winter tires get her through the snow without issue in my part of Ontario.
Cheers

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Don't worry about the Diff's. If you are staying on road and in snow, you will won't have a problem. Even those of that go off road haven't had a problem.
The X is a great all round vehicle, it is versatile, durable, sporty, looks good dirty and clean!!
You won't be dissapointed

·
on line
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CanadianX said:
Not knowing what you're planning to do with the X other then not offroading I'd tell you to look a AWD type vehicles such as CRV and RAV or Subaru...that said if the X tickles you the most then go for it, just know you'll pay more in gas and more for tires when it's time to replace them. As for reliability I've had a few issues early on but they were resolved at the dealer and were not deal breakers. I driven from Nova Scotia to Edmonton to Utah and to Ontario without issue. In so far as the weak diff issue shouldn't be a problem. The issue seems to manifest mostly under offroad 0 traction wheel spin followed by max traction (ie you have a tire in the air spinning which slams intothe ground and gets traction)

As a comparison my wife's echo with 4 winter tires get her through the snow without issue in my part of Ontario.
Cheers
I have looked into the CRV, RAV and they are both more $$ to purchase, but yes the X is harder on gas and the tires more expensive, but I only drive about 10-15k per year so i'm thinking it would not be too bad.

I haven't priced the tires locally, but tire rack sells Pirelli Scorpions ATR which i've heard good things about for about $150 (265-65-17).

I would need the X to pull me through deep snow - sometimes up to 2-3 feet that pills up outside my driveway since i'm on a bit of an incline (im in Waterloo).

I guess i just need to decide what i really want and i do love the look of the Xterra.

thanks

·
on line
1,744 Posts
Well I can understand the CRV and RAV they are more pricey options. AWD cars typically handle snow conditions better then trucks given a lower centre of gravity but a couple of inches of extra clearance does allow you to plough through deep stuff. The X does have an amazing traction control system that really does an excellent job on ice and slippery conditions. With a good set of winter ice tires you'd be laughing. Take one out for a test drive and keep asking questions on this forum and I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions and advice.

·
on line
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - feedback has been great on this forum and i appreciate all the comments and opinions.

I hoping to get out and test drive one this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts