Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know I'm not the fittest person in the world, but I was looking into the XTERRA challenges. Outdoor triathalon, they seem to have them at least once a year in NC, one at Uwharrie, and one at Smith Lake in Fayetteville.

This got me thinking, anyone interested in entering next year? This year's challenge is comming up in May, too late to really train for this, but I'm pretty sure they are going to have them next year as well. I'm game if there is anyone else, it looks pretty fun, and you can enter as teams as well. I'm sure we would get some face time as well, especially if we show up in our X's/Fronty's, seeing as how it is called the XTERRA challenge.

Here is the link to their site:
http://www.xterraplanet.com/

Here's the link for this years URE challenge:
http://www.middleringcycles.com/uwharrie_xterra.cfm

Smith Lake one:
http://www.fortbraggmwr.com/xterra/index.html

Let me know if any of you are interested, I think it would be a fun "out of the box" event to do.

·
on line
896 Posts
those things are no joke.... I have done tri's before, even with an ocean swim, but the running was flat and the bike was pretty much flat. Those Xterra races are freakin insane, running up mountains, biking up mountains are a lot tougher than regular tri's. I really want to do one of these but don't know if my wife will let me (training and dieting made me mean, and no fun :laughing6:

·
on line
148 Posts
I have always wanted to do a triathlon. Not sure if I could make the drive down though...

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They've got these almost all around the US, so you wouldn't have to drive down to NC for this.
Contender, if you want you can tell your wife that it is going to be a healthy experience, and that you are helping a fellow human get in better shape. Would that work?
:cheers:

·
on line
148 Posts
npgtech said:
They've got these almost all around the US, so you wouldn't have to drive down to NC for this.
Contender, if you want you can tell your wife that it is going to be a healthy experience, and that you are helping a fellow human get in better shape. Would that work?

hmm, that might just work! :cheers:

·
on line
1,744 Posts
If your seriously thinking about it then IMHO go for it, you won't regret trying. I did an eco challenge race as part of the raid the north series and it was a great experience. Our plan was three fold, have fun, finish and win a leg - in that order. We launched with 3 weeks planning. As an all military team we were pretty fit and had one member who had participated in these types of races before. We accomplished all our goals and as the cherry on top won the race. 200km in 72hrs. The best part was finishing after completing a tough race and celebrating with all the other competitors, sponsors and organizers.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm not looking to be champ or anything (though I will try my best). I just think it would be pretty fun.

Sweet, I'm probably going to start training once I get home from the middle east, so I will probably be going to URE frequently just to go for jogs, or go swiming, get the lay of the land you could say.

·
on line
896 Posts
npgtech said:
I really don't know if I could do it. Last one I did was the Kure Beach sprint tri, and I did it at 265lbs. Thank goodness they have a clydesdale group. I thought I was gonna die :cheers: First swim, got stung by a jellyfish and thought about quitting right there. Not to mention 10 minutes before the race, my wife calls to tell me she won't be there because she hit a deer on the drive up (about 2 miles from our house). I wouldn't mind going to watch bad asses race. I'm glad I've done some, but I'm just not built like these people that do it. I'm just glad I have pics of it to prove I did it :laughing6:

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, that sounds like it was just a bad day all together, I was 238 when I got out here to Kuwait, but I'm 223 now, and with two more months, I should be at my target weight of ~215 lbs. Then about a year to train for this, I'll be good at next years race, I will def try to go to watch it though. Maybe we can turn it into another meet'n'greet for the guys in the area.

·
on line
1,504 Posts
npgtech...I would definitly consider doing this with you...I have always wanted to try and get myself in shape for one of these...and Xterra challenge def. interests me more than a regular tri...because I already mountain bike and to me road biking is just boring...but I just don't know if I can get myself in shape for this or not...I mean I'm in decent shape...but that's a whole different ball game! When do you back from over seas...around May ish?

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of the guys over on ENCXC has entered for this race, I might just enter this one, or train for next years, either way I plan on being at this event, as a participant or otherwise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts