Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 something something V6 standard transmission.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Xterra used in 2015 (2011 model) to replace an aging Durango that was great for light offroad/car camping. Mostly I used it for going to take train pictures places and camp out by the tracks. I have done the same with the Xterra and right after we got it my fiancee got a really cheap Coleman awning thing that has mosquito netting sides and fits right over the rear hatch back. It is perfect of cots or even just chairs. Not sure how it woudl do in the rain, I have though about getting a tarp to place over it, but we just use it for quick overnight trips when we are pretty sure it won't rain. For the price ( I think she got it on clearance at WalMart for $40 or so) it has worked very well. Keeps the bugs off of you and stays cool on hot WV summer nights. I hve replaced the front bumper since the picture was taken with a shrock works, and I am doing the smae to the rear, so that may mess up this setup, not sure, but i am thikning about getting an ARB awning anyway. Sorry if this belongs in an exisitng thread or if it is on the wrong topic area.

·
Registered
254 Posts
How well does it seal against the sides and the bottom of the bumper?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How well does it seal against the sides and the bottom of the bumper?
Pretty well actually, we just kind of bunch it up, it might be good to run a bungee cord across the bottom, I know it works well at keeping bugs out.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,151 Posts
Welcome in.
Take a look at the Maxi-Trac awning from Napa for $99 if you want to go easy on the wallet.

As far as train watching, I have always wanted to stop and check out the Tehachapi Loop. We always drive by it but never take the time to stop.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
yeah man, for dry summer nights that looks great to keep the bugs at bay, at least if its sealed up well enough!

for $40 thats a steal!

also whats nice is if you want to you could de-couple them and use the X during the day, and leave cam set up. unlike a RTT where you have to put the tent away to use the truck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That napa thing looks pretty nice, I can put it on my excavating company account at Napa and say it is for a trackhoe or something! Mtnbound, we usually are moving around so we strike camp, the nice thing about that, well, whatever that thing is, fly? anyway it sets up in about 2 minutes. We don't even stake it down or anything. It would not be good for any sort of bad weather, and it doesn't allow really privacy for changing or anything but for what it is we have been very happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have always wanted to see Tehachapi, pretty amazing place, I have been to Kicking horse pass up in Canada, it is a series of loops like this. I am planning to head up to the Upper Peninsula in September or October to check out the LS&I and some others. The whole 'camping' outfit I am going for is something easy to set up after dark, easy to take down and pretty bare bones.

As far as train watching, I have always wanted to stop and check out the Tehachapi Loop. We always drive by it but never take the time to stop.
View attachment 137637
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have always wanted to see Tehachapi, pretty amazing place, I have been to Kicking horse pass up in Canada, it is a series of loops like this. I am planning to head up to the Upper Peninsula in September or October to check out the LS&I and some others. The whole 'camping' outfit I am going for is something easy to set up after dark, easy to take down and pretty bare bones.

View attachment 137637
[/QUOTE]

wow that is cool! talk about a creative solution to spreading out elevation gain!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts