Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2002 3.3L Xterra engine just started dying. After sitting for a while it restarts without any problem. And checking it over and over it consistently does the exact same thing. Starts without any problem, runs at idle, dies about 5 min. later then if you try to start it immediately again it runs very rough. It also bogs down if I gun it. It's thrown P0152 (o2 sensor), P0328 (knock sensor) and P0102 (MAF sensor) codes but I think they've been doing this for a while so I don't believe it's the main cause of the problem but could it contribute to it making act that way? The battery and alternator tested fine, next thing is replacing the MAF sensor (needs it anyway) fuel filter and possibly pump. But a problem with that much of a consist pattern every time makes me believe it's something completely different. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Note: My apology to anyone who saw this same post on another Xterra Forum website. Desperate times seek desperate measures.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having owned a 1st gen for 20 years, I can almost guarantee it is the distributor. Cam sensor is part of the distributor and it gets a little wonky after so many miles. Replace the whole thing. When my maf sensor went the truck would start and idle no problem but had no power for driving. Hope this helps, if you google the distributor there is quite a bit of info online.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having owned a 1st gen for 20 years, I can almost guarantee it is the distributor. Cam sensor is part of the distributor and it gets a little wonky after so many miles. Replace the whole thing. When my maf sensor went the truck would start and idle no problem but had no power for driving. Hope this helps, if you google the distributor there is quite a bit of info online.
Thanks for the advise. Is there a way to test it?

·
Professional Amateur Wanderer
577 Posts
I second the distributor, try cleaning the MAF as well. In my experience, cleaning the MAF on the VG33 engines is a bandaid, if it failed once, it will fail again. It is best to replace. The distributor gets really chewed up over time and it only takes a few minutes to replace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts