Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an XM radio from the girlfriend for my birthday and thought I'd share a few pics of my install job.

First up was the Sure Connect wire. It attaches to the antenna and helps ensure a quality signal from the FM transmitter. I'm very happy with how this has worked so far. I ran the wire through the door and then under the glove box.

Next I mounted the antenna on the dash with 3M double sided tape. This has worked well so far, though I have lost the signal a few times when heading north and going down into a valley. I wanted to try it here first. If I'm not happy with it I plan on putting it on the roof somewhere.

Finally I pulled off the dash and ran all the wires up to the top. For now I just popped the cover back on over the wires. I think I may drill a small hole in the cover, behind the spot where I've mounted the radio. Again I used 3M double sided tape to mount the base. It has held perfectly. I moved the small mat to the area in front of the shift lever. The power wire is short. I originally had it going under the bottom of the dash along with the antenna wire but it wouldn't properly reach. I will likely directly wire it behind the dash as I don't like how it looks sticking out.

I'm really happy with having this in the X. It's going to be great when I travel and especially when we go camping! :cheers:

·
on line
82 Posts
Glad you like the XM but I'd really suggest running the antenna wire through the firewall. In the door jamb like that it's not going to make it too long...plus it looks gawd awful.

·
on line
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mfenske said:
Glad you like the XM but I'd really suggest running the antenna wire through the firewall. In the door jamb like that it's not going to make it too long...plus it looks gawd awful.
Yeah I wanted to hide it better but wasn't sure how to do it, plus it was cold and I just wanted to get it installed in a solid manner so I could use it. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
on line
82 Posts
MachineHead said:
I can't remember, is there even a boot in the firewall on the passenger side?
There is but I haven't taken the time to remove enough componentry in the passenger cabin to get to it. There is, however an opening on the driver's side that is quite easy to access with a broken off metal coat hanger to snake the wire through. That's how I did my 1/0 AWG power wire so an XM antenna should be easy as pie.

·
on line
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mfenske said:
MachineHead said:
There is but I haven't taken the time to remove enough componentry in the passenger cabin to get to it. There is, however an opening on the driver's side that is quite easy to access with a broken off metal coat hanger to snake the wire through. That's how I did my 1/0 AWG power wire so an XM antenna should be easy as pie.
Any idea if the plug at the end of the wire will fit through? What if it doesn't? Will I have to cut the wire? Will cutting it hurt in any way?

·
on line
82 Posts
bluzfan said:
Any idea if the plug at the end of the wire will fit through? What if it doesn't? Will I have to cut the wire? Will cutting it hurt in any way?
Through the grommet in the driver's firewall? From the factory it won't as the grommet is sealed. That's why you take an old metal coat hanger and untwist it so that it's just a piece of thin metal. Take one end of the hanger and gently poke it through the grommet in to the passenger compartment. At the other end of the hanger use tape (I like duct) to secure the XM antenna. I also like to take a little spare motor oil and rub some of it on the hanger so that it slides through the grommet easier. It's a pretty painless process on the X, way easier than my Scion was. Oh, and you shouldn't have to cut the wire.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
take a few photo's of that ... sure would like to see how it works.. would like to get my XM antenna wire more hidden. The Antenna is stuck on the passenger Roof corner outside. running up the gutter.

·
on line
114 Posts
mfenske said:
MachineHead said:
I did the same thing, although I cut a hole with a utility knife. I still need to remember to seal it up at some point with some silicone.

And conversation reminds me of why I went through on the driver's side, the passengers side boot is completely buried.

·
on line
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I moved the antenna. For those considering doing this, there's no question it needs to be on the outside for better reception. I read a lot of arguments both ways but there is no comparison. Now I have no drop outs at all, especially when headed north.

·
on line
20 Posts
XM or Sirius In-dash unit

Has anybody located/installed an in-dash satellite radio that still has all the other features of the stock radio/CD? I like the variety of the satellite radio broadcasts, but don't like the idea of an extra thing perched on top of the dashboard.

·
on line
114 Posts
I used to have an aftermarket in-dash with satellite radio. They work fine, but do require an external box which you hide in the dash. You do lose out on some of the features of the external units. Like artist and song seek, as well as pause and rewind.

·
on line
20 Posts
Thanks, Machinehead...yeah that's what I've found with a bit of snooping in stereo shops. For more money than I thought, I can get a unit that accepts MP3, CDs, and Bluetooth..I like the idea of not having an ear-bud perched on my ear....maybe...Honey? Do we really need that new mattress?

·
on line
750 Posts
Just installed my XM minutes ago. Routed the wiring through the electrical boot on the passenger side with no difficulty at all. Antenna on the roof was a different story but all in all, not hard at all. Took about an hour. If I knew what I was doing..probably take 25 minutes total.

Side note..the interior dome lights pop out so easy that they represent yet another good hiding spot for small items.

·
on line
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BioTerra said:
Just installed my XM minutes ago. Routed the wiring through the electrical boot on the passenger side with no difficulty at all. Antenna on the roof was a different story but all in all, not hard at all. Took about an hour. If I knew what I was doing..probably take 25 minutes total.

Side note..the interior dome lights pop out so easy that they represent yet another good hiding spot for small items.
Bio do you have any pics of that boot and it's location? I'd like to re-route mine through there. Where did you end up putting your antenna? I put mine on the corner of the hood, right next to the radio antenna.

·
on line
750 Posts
I worked up the courage to put the antenna on the front part of the roof right over the rearview mirror. Drilled a hole, fed the wire through the headliner along the windshield over to the driver's side front pillar. From there, the wire tucked very nicely in the rubber door seal down to the bottom of the dash..up into the console and over the pedals and over to the radio area.

The rubber boot you are looking for is right under the brake master cylinder. It has a large wiring harness going through it. Basically, I just took a sharp knife and cut a slit next to the wiring harness (be super careful not to damage the harness itself) and pushed the wiring through with a wire coat hanger. Tape the wires to the tip of the hanger to make it easier.

Sorry, don't have pics at the moment.

·
on line
114 Posts
USMC Xterra put his antenna in the same spot. Although he ran the wire along the windshield seal and down into the engine compartment.

·
on line
750 Posts
Yeah, Just went with a more "permanent" solution. Not sure if it was the wisest thing to do in terms of resale value..but I tend to keep my trucks til they die anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts