Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
We are also taking into consideration my aftermarket Tom Woods driveshaft. The VK swap pushes the drivetrain back. My driveshaft was measured for the V6 and trans position. This also explains why it will shift fine without the trans. Hopefully I can machine the pinion flange adapter to compensate for the difference.
whoa....didn't know that! how far back does it push the drivetrain? I'm running my stock driveshaft (had a c200k originally...now an m226).

EDIT - Disregard....my guess is it's pushed back just cause you're dealing with a manual?
Yeah the manual trans chances the game. Your dealing with pilot bearing, clutch alignment, etc

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
We are also taking into consideration my aftermarket Tom Woods driveshaft. The VK swap pushes the drivetrain back. My driveshaft was measured for the V6 and trans position. This also explains why it will shift fine without the trans. Hopefully I can machine the pinion flange adapter to compensate for the difference.
I’m betting Tom woods would shorten it for a reasonable price too. Their customer service is top notch.
I'm hoping I can machine the spacer but idk yet. Hopefully I can find a spare shaft somewhere. I'm not sure the difference between the auto and manual driveshafts. The stock shaft with the M226 has that CV joint on the pinion flange. I think auto don't have that

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
I'm hoping I can machine the spacer but idk yet. Hopefully I can find a spare shaft somewhere. I'm not sure the difference between the auto and manual driveshafts. The stock shaft with the M226 has that CV joint on the pinion flange. I think auto don't have that
The auto 4x4 xterra's definately have the cv at the pinion flange. You should be fine with any ds out of an xterra with an m226.

The driveshafts on xterra's with the c200k are 1" or 1.25" longer than with the m226. They normally work with the m226 anyway if lifted, but in your case I don't think it would.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #124

The auto 4x4 xterra's definately have the cv at the pinion flange. You should be fine with any ds out of an xterra with an m226.

The driveshafts on xterra's with the c200k are 1" or 1.25" longer than with the m226. They normally work with the m226 anyway if lifted, but in your case I don't think it would.
That's good **** to know thanks man.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
If anyone needs a custom driveshaft here are the measurement instructions from Tom Woods. I have one but it was measured for the V6 and 6-speed position. According to Driven Desire the adapter plate moves the trans 5/8" back. Good thing the PRG trans mount has adjustability. The tolerances are so tight now I need to measure for the new drivetrain positioning and send my driveshaft back to Tom Woods to get cut down. Make sure you have everything installed on the vehicle before measuring ie. armor, winch, gear, etc. This makes for the most accurate measurement.

http://www.4xshaft.com/MeasuringGuide.pdf

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
My driveshaft after measuring was not the issue. Actually, after the install my driveshaft distance only changed 1/8" if not less with still plenty of distance still left on the driveshaft output shaft for it to move.

Anyone wanting to do this swap hold off untill the redesign is fully released. You don't want to pull the trans four times like I had to.

It will be a while before I post results. Until then, the X is a static display in my driveway.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Interested to see how the transmission handles the power of the V8. I’ve been itching to swap a manual into my V8 pathfinder but I’m worried it won’t hold up to the vk56 and 37” tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just use a strong clutch, know how to drive a manual the right way and I think it will last the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
I never posted the power steering cooler. 6' of hose is enough to reach the reservoir and the steering rack. I still need to mount up everything, just don't really care to move any further until the clutch engagement is resolved. I'm also using a Titan efan for a pusher and it's also reversible.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Sending good Ju Ju your way. Been out for a while but I'm happy that this has moved on. There is no victory without adversity. I see that you are going through a lot. Just know that it's all going to be a wealth of knowledge for the other people that are going through this swap. Just know the other strugglers are behind you 100%. There are only a handful of 6MT VK X's/Frontiers in the country. I know personally that Brennan and his Bro are working hard to ensure everyone is successful.

Keep it up / Don't stop.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Thanks bud. I'm trying to be patient. He told me I'm the only X that has somewhat completed the swap. It's rough going to through all this effort and paying all this money to have a static display. If it doesn't work out or requires me to dump more lump sums of money at it then I'm parting it out. Being that I have another kid on the way I need my secondary kid hauler back. He's swapping another X at the moment to see if he can duplicate my issue so lets hope for the best. I'll keep everyone posted. Like I said at the beginning, transparency is key, no surprises. I've been down the road of crappy aftermarket parts only to be stranded two states away from home. I don't want anyone else to go through that.
I understand. We were planning on being the first 6MT VK'd X here in Cincinnati but you sort of beat us to the punch :). I understand what you are going through as it's all a team effort. I won't disclose some of the messy struggles with the aftermarket here but I've talked with Brennan about it - It's really erroneous some of the stuff you/he have dealt with. At some point it even made sense to postpone my build and send some of my parts your way to forward the cause. That said, have faith. Things will work out soon. Fruition will come forth, so don't give up. I'm rooting for you and will hopefully join you soon.

Then I can send the congrats for being the first running/driving manual vk X with no issues.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,437 Posts
Been following this for a while now. I'd be just as frustrated, being told the swap was probable or has been done before etc, only to run into all these undocumented issues. I long for a VK, but I never found the manual tranny solution satisfactory to my liking with an adaptor plate and so on. The Auto guys get to just run the Titan tranny, and avoid a lot of these problems. The Y61 Nissan Patrol has a manual tranny mated to a VK, but it is $10,000. Regardless of what you decide to do, I commend you for trying and being as resilient as you have.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Thanks bud. I'm trying to be patient. He told me I'm the only X that has somewhat completed the swap. It's rough going to through all this effort and paying all this money to have a static display. If it doesn't work out or requires me to dump more lump sums of money at it then I'm parting it out. Being that I have another kid on the way I need my secondary kid hauler back. He's swapping another X at the moment to see if he can duplicate my issue so lets hope for the best. I'll keep everyone posted. Like I said at the beginning, transparency is key, no surprises. I've been down the road of crappy aftermarket parts only to be stranded two states away from home. I don't want anyone else to go through that.
I'm assuming they are doing the swap on your X correct? I wondered why your project has been stagnent for almost a year now just like all the others I've read. It's like you knew some things I didn't or had the down low on the new adapter being that you know Brennan. I purchased mine back in November and if I knew it had all these issues I wouldn't have purchased it. The idea of C3's adapter has been in the works since last September if not sooner. What pisses me off is the crank sensor rubs the reluctor wheel and now my rpms are bounching around. That could either be the the plug is worn out from me taking it out so many times or the wheel rubbed too deep. An OEM crank sensor is not cheap. Not only that, the adapter leaves a bunch of openings which is not trail/wheeling friendly. I can remedy that by drill/tapping some holes and fabbing some covers. I don't feel I should go through all this for something I paid almost $1k for.
Yes. To be candid, I initially planned to do the swap myself with Brennan's help. After watching what he accomplished last year with this swap, seeing the Manual VK Frontier completed, and seeing the emphasis he has on taking care of customers I realized the value of Driven Desire doing it in house. Instead of trying to save money I requested a spot in line, requested a price for the work like every other customer and parked it so the work could be done there by them. I expressed that I didn't mind bumping back for the sake of his customers since I have other means of transportation and was working on my other builds. It took until this time to get a spot so it's been out of sight/mind. Keep in mind, this is something he does all outside his regular employment and frankly I don't even understand how he balances it all, but he does.

I don't know all the details since I've been gone, but I do emphasize. The 6-Speed MT VK Frontier that DD did in house has the same adapter as you and it doesn't appear to have any of the same issues you are having so I'm confused. Regardless of the circumstances, your frustration is justified and I'm sorry you are going through them. I don't have any more intel than you because there isn't any. If I got started back then I might literally be in the same boat. No matter who you are - if you are the first to do something revolutionary there are going to be tribulations, especially when doing it yourself. That's specifically why I am paying Brennan to do mine.

I had an opportunity to try to be first VKX6MT but I missed the boat. Your efforts are appreciated. That said, in order to get something off the ground it takes a community to support it. Right now there aren't very many of us manual Frontier/Xterra guys that are doing the swap but I am one. I don't remember if I had to buy a new OEM crank sensor for my swap yet or not but if it helps send me your address and I'll send you mine if yours is damaged. That or I can help you fund a new one. Let me know.

121 - 140 of 157 Posts
About this Discussion
156 Replies
25 Participants
kebler2005
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing