Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I couldn't wait any longer to start this thread. I was going to wait until a little closer to completion but I want to share my progress with you all. The basic premise is: running 35x12" tires on an IFS Xterra.
Here are the specs:

Suspension:
TGC spacers
Custom AALs
Total of ~2.5" lift

Tires/Wheels:
Yokohama Geolander M/T 315/75R16 tires
AR Chamber Teflon 16x8 wheels (4.5" BS)
(The wheel I am using for mock-up is a steel 16x8 w/ 4.25" BS)
Custom 1" billet 6x4.5 to 6x5.5 wheel adapters

This suspension system is temporary until I decide what I want to do in terms of increasing the travel (money is an issue too).
As you will see in the pictures and subsequent posts, trimming is necessary on the front fender wells.
This weekend I will be installing my AALs and trimming the inner fenders.

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
muzikman said:
Is that rear wheel sitting on the bump stop?
No it isn't. Remember I don't have the AAL lift on in that picture. Hopefully the tire will tuck into the fender with the lift in the rear due to the greater angle. If not I'm just going to have to extend the rear bumpstops.

BoonDox said:
Lots of trimming or just leave the fenders off!
I'm going to have to cut ~1.5" off around the entire front fenders. I will see how much needs to come off the top of the fenders this weekend when I disconnect the front coilover & cycle the suspension with the tire on.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Even with the lift you'll still rub. If not on the fender it's self, you'll rub on the frame when flexed (my 11.5" wide tires just miss the fender but rub like crazy under full flex and even worse when aired down.

·
on line
2,070 Posts
At least every1 is getting a project now and
showing differant ideas.
Hell i'm going to buy a Mig welder and tube notcher this weekend.
Just need to buy a tube bender now.

rs182: I'm going to have to cut ~1.5" off around the entire front fenders.
We want to see pic's of the cutting in action!
________
NASH-HEALEY

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
muzikman said:
Even with the lift you'll still rub. If not on the fender it's self, you'll rub on the frame when flexed (my 11.5" wide tires just miss the fender but rub like crazy under full flex and even worse when aired down.
That picture of the frame is with the tire turned full lock. 1" spacer + 4.5" BS wheel = 3.5" effective BS. I made sure it didn't rub the frame as that can't be trimmed like the fenders. Maybe when aired down, turned full lock, and under full compression it will rub, but not much.
Tube working sounds cool BoonDox, I want that front bumper the Xplod truck has! I'm thinking about having it fabricated locally...
Cutting pics will be up after this weekend!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I hate to be pessimistic I'm wondering if you'll rub in the rear wheel well, as soon as those AALs break in.
I also wouldn't be surprised if you run into major front end rubbing under full compression.

Keep in mind that your intake sucks air through the hole which is now exposed to major debris. I'd be interested to see if it gathers more gunk, more quickly than before.

I truly hope the tires work out for you.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Intake might be a problem... but doesnt mc have that mod with the tube thing that can help with that. Im not sure as that is one of the few mods of his i havent done... Sorry MC :drunken:

Anyway i like that you are taking your truck to the next level... Hey somebody has to do it right??!!

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
syndicate said:
I hate to be pessimistic I'm wondering if you'll rub in the rear wheel well, as soon as those AALs break in.
I also wouldn't be surprised if you run into major front end rubbing under full compression.

Keep in mind that your intake sucks air through the hole which is now exposed to major debris. I'd be interested to see if it gathers more gunk, more quickly than before.

I truly hope the tires work out for you.
The rear may rub, I hope not, but that can be limited by extending the bump stops if needed. I based the backspacing of the wheels on the fact that the tires won't rub on the frame at full lock and compression. If you take a look at the pic I posted showing my frame you can see that the tire is far from contacting it. I can safely say this is the MAXIMUM tire size that can stuff into the X and still allow for full suspension travel without doing major bodywork.
I'm still deciding about selling my stock tires/wheels, they sure would be nice to have around if/when I snap the front end...
Haha, BTW, I have a MUCH larger and better selection of tools at home, those pics are from when I was working on my X at school, obviously my choices of tools is limited...

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright guys, AALs are in! X has a good 2 - 2.5" lift in the rear, hopefully it stays right there because it looks great right now. The ride is alot better too, no bottoming out to speak of so far. Applied some industrial grease to each end of the AAL to prevent squeeking. Pics below:

Also, the carnage you all want to see: trimming the pinch weld. Basically I laid down a bead of black silicone & used a sledge hammer to beat the pinch wled flat over the silicone. I will apply a small amount of spray paint to the exposed metal soon. It was an easy task, just takes alot of hammering. Just barely enough clearance now, outer fender trimming coming soon...

·
on line
1,792 Posts
It all looks fantastic. Maybe Spencer and I can get some good fender ideas from what you're doing here. I may be waiting on the Hannemann glass for awhile.

Are you going to stick with a trim for now, or go for some kind of aftermarket fenders? With my 4" I'm really shooting rocks and dirt.

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
d-rap said:
It all looks fantastic. Maybe Spencer and I can get some good fender ideas from what you're doing here. I may be waiting on the Hannemann glass for awhile.

Are you going to stick with a trim for now, or go for some kind of aftermarket fenders? With my 4" I'm really shooting rocks and dirt.
I'm sticking with a trim for now, from my preliminary measurements ~1.5" - 2" of metal is going to have to be trimmed off the rear of outer fender. I'm trying to decide now if I should attempt to do this or just take my fenders to a body shop and have them do it.

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Schlitzy said:
RS, how are you coming along bro?
Waiting for my wheels to arrive right now. Got a lifetime alignment from Firestone today. Will be installing custom pinion shims to eliminate vibration from the rear end next week.
Still trying to decide if I should have a body shop trim my front fenders, I'll look into that and get a quote as soon as I return from vacation.
I will be on vacation from the 19th to the 2nd, I will be ordering the rest of my tires as soon as I return.
Will post pics and updates ASAP!!!

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The rest of my tires arrived today. Finding the right wheels has taken me forever but I finally have. The AR Chamber teflon wheels are on national backorder, so those are out. I looked at getting some KMC XD Enduros or Assaults but they have been discontinued by KMC and are available NOWHERE. I ended up finding wheels that will look even better than anything I've previously found. They are Moto Metal 950s:

I think they will look alot better than the all black look I was previously considering. I'm ordering them tomorrow, hopefully they aren't discontinued or backordered or something *** like that.
Other than that I still need to install my pinion shims and trim my front fenders. I'll post updates once everything is in!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts