Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
The flickering gauges usually means that your battery is so low it is having a hard time operating ANYTHING much less starting your rig. You will know if it's the original battery cause it will say NISSAN. If it is a nissan battery that thing is toast, 5 years max, anything longer you're just asking to be stranded.

First thing's first, looking at the the terminals won't tell you if they are solid or not. You need to try and move them back and forth to see if they are loose rather than just corroded. Second, bring your rig into a advanced auto or something that will test your battery for you.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The flickering gauges usually means that your battery is so low it is having a hard time operating ANYTHING much less starting your rig. You will know if it's the original battery cause it will say NISSAN. If it is a nissan battery that thing is toast, 5 years max, anything longer you're just asking to be stranded.

First thing's first, looking at the the terminals won't tell you if they are solid or not. You need to try and move them back and forth to see if they are loose rather than just corroded. Second, bring your rig into a advanced auto or something that will test your battery for you.
Not a Nissan battery then, connections are fine. If I could start it I would bring it to auto zone but cant.... I put a charger on it and will see if that helps in a few hours.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I had a bad cell in my OEM batytery this past winter and it would do the same thing, then about an hour after the truck would start and run fine. I have had no problems since getting a yellow top

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was going to say that I had this problem as well and the connections looked fine. I was stressed to the max! Happened at a Wawa gas pump at 2am, couldnt get it started gases went crazy, turned out it was the connections. And I have a yellow top in as well. It fits fine, there is a plastic ring on the bottom of the + terminal that prevented the clamp from seating properly on the terminal causing ALL of my starting problems for months! Broke off that plastic part reconnected it, and started it back up! Then got yelled at by the store manager for jump starting my car at the gas pump, when I had to inform her I didnt jump anything, just broke something off. I guess they frown upon working on your vehicle next to the gas pump! :pain10: Oh yeah they also frown upon you cracking open a beer while waiting for the tow truck! Good thing I was going fishing a few hours after this happened and had the beer with me, chilling, and waiting! :chug:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was going to say that I had this problem as well and the connections looked fine. I was stressed to the max! Happened at a Wawa gas pump at 2am, couldnt get it started gases went crazy, turned out it was the connections. And I have a yellow top in as well. It fits fine, there is a plastic ring on the bottom of the + terminal that prevented the clamp from seating properly on the terminal causing ALL of my starting problems for months! Broke off that plastic part reconnected it, and started it back up! Then got yelled at by the store manager for jump starting my car at the gas pump, when I had to inform her I didnt jump anything, just broke something off. I guess they frown upon working on your vehicle next to the gas pump! :pain10: Oh yeah they also frown upon you cracking open a beer while waiting for the tow truck! Good thing I was going fishing a few hours after this happened and had the beer with me, chilling, and waiting! :chug:

I definitely need to replace the terminal connectors. The Positive one is cracked and barely hanging on, the negative wont tighten enough and can be just pulled right off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts