Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
on line
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so my neighbor has an 2005 Xterra, and last night she told me that her X would not exceed over 70 mph. She also said that she would be flooring it while on the free way and it would not go any faster. My thought it could be the tranny, and it might be low on fluid.
Just wondering what you guys think it might be. Her husband is gone for a few months for work, and she's a little concern because he's not around to fix it.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Suggest she or you (most likely) implement all three relearn procedures. Somewhere here there is a link to the FSM for her vehicle and in that FSM, under (I think) Engine Control, there are instructions for how to do the three procedures.

Please let us know if that fixes the problem.

PT

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Could be a lot of issues. Is there a check engine light on? When it comes to driveability issues there could be a lot of things such as the engine not getting enough fuel. The sensors are not demanding enough fuel or seeing there is a demand to go faster. The MAF sensor could be off. Could be the tranny. If there is no check engine light may have to take it in to the shop to do a test drive and check it with a scan tool. You can check for pending codes with the scan tool and also check certain modules. There are a lot of times where you have a driveability issue but no check engine light. Just go to go and approach it as a big puzzle. Make sure you look at all the pieces and not just the boarder pieces first.

·
on line
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Suggest she or you (most likely) implement all three relearn procedures. Somewhere here there is a link to the FSM for her vehicle and in that FSM, under (I think) Engine Control, there are instructions for how to do the three procedures.

Please let us know if that fixes the problem.

PT
Okay i will keep you updated

did you ask about symptoms of SMOD??? Might want to check that out for her just in case
yeah asked her pretty much all the questions when she drives it, and i checked the radiator cap. i didnt see any evidence of SMOD.

Tell her to shift beyond first gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyJItQYPXQc

GEARS??!?!?!
LMAO oh boy!!

Could be a lot of issues. Is there a check engine light on? When it comes to driveability issues there could be a lot of things such as the engine not getting enough fuel. The sensors are not demanding enough fuel or seeing there is a demand to go faster. The MAF sensor could be off. Could be the tranny. If there is no check engine light may have to take it in to the shop to do a test drive and check it with a scan tool. You can check for pending codes with the scan tool and also check certain modules. There are a lot of times where you have a driveability issue but no check engine light. Just go to go and approach it as a big puzzle. Make sure you look at all the pieces and not just the boarder pieces first.
No engine check light, i used the scan tool but i couldn't find anything. i might tell her to take it in.

·
on line
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes indeed, she would have to buy me dinner after all that hard work i put in "changing the oil". hahaha

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Maybe her husband used a Bullydog tuner to put a speed limiter on the x while he is gone. lol.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts