Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This afternoon the wife and I decided to go run some errands. After going to our first stop we got in the car to leave and the X wouldn't crank. No noise just dead silence. I called a friend to come jump it and it started making a rapid clicking sound after having him hook his jumpers up to the battery. We cleaned the posts really good and tried again, same clicking noise. I called my insurance company and they brought out a tow truck. He hooked jumpers to it that were connected to a gray box. The car cranked finally. I drove it to Autozone and had the battery and alternator checked. Ended up getting a new battery and it cranked right up. We drove to a few more places and after the second place I noticed that it didn't crank after the first try but it worked on the second try. We made it home, I parked it, ate dinner, went back out, and not it's not cranking again with a brand new battery. It still makes that rapid clicking noise and after a few tries even that dies down to nothing. Anybody have any suggestions? It's a 2006 S model with just at 35,000 miles on it with no mods except for a K&N drop-in air filter.
Thanks for your time!

·
on line
1,340 Posts
Defective battery
Loose or bad connection at battery
Something staying on, draining the battery.

·
on line
230 Posts
The batterys are junk. They cause SH!T loads of corrosion. Youll need to dissasemble the extremely brittle terminals and clean them. Even if the terminals dont fall apart the first time, I reccomend replacing them, along with that rediculous battery. My Xterra and Titan stranded me multiple times this way before I just chunked the connectors and battery.

·
on line
108 Posts
lloyd swartz is right I had the cable snap off right at the terminal box that connects on the positive post of the battery, one side feeds like the radio and stuff the other side is the ignition side. It was so corroded it ate the copper wire completely. The wire was corroded almost 7" down. Pull the cover off the + post and look for a snapped wire.
If i remember right mine was the right side that snapped off right at the ring terminal crimp were the wire comes in, but i missed it at first glance because of the wire loom made it look like it was still connected when i pulled the clamp off the wire popped off.
Yours maybe snapped but because of the wire loom it makes contact once in awhile that is why it only works sometime mine made that clicking too. It is like half off the system is trying to start it but the without the other half it can't. lloyd is right clean up all the terminals too. sorry if it sounds like i am rambling but its late here.
Good luck let us know what happens.

·
on line
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took it to Nissan yesterday afternoon and dropped it off. I was able to crank it with help from a jump start. Nissan just called and said it was a loose connection that needed tightening. Wonder if they could tell me which connection needed to be tightened in case this happens again so I could do it myself. Does anybody know what the two things are on the side of the + terminal connection? Looks like some type of sensor reader. Where can I get replacement terminals?

·
on line
429 Posts
If you have 35K miles on it, they only need that connection to stay tight for 1000 more miles, then it's not their problem any more.

·
on line
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly, that's why i want to know how to tighten it myself or where to get replacement terminal connectors.

·
on line
230 Posts
I like brass marine grade connectors for the battery, as they resist corrosion better. Auto Zone had them. If you mangle the fuse block connector(I did that on the Titan) it will come from the dealer but it was surprisingly cheap.

·
on line
1,340 Posts
pdub said:
I took it to Nissan yesterday afternoon and dropped it off. I was able to crank it with help from a jump start. Nissan just called and said it was a loose connection that needed tightening.
I win... :geek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts