Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Go look in the OTHER FORUM, under "General" and Grayham has a picture !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JIMBO said:
:clown: Go look in the OTHER FORUM, under "General" and Grayham has a picture !!

Thanks Jimbo! It does not look that bad at all. I know someone had a 2nd gen without roof-rack here also.

The reasons I am considering taking the roof rack off are:
1. I never use it so less weight is always better. I still wonder how much it weighs though.
2. Cross-wind (especially at an angle) causes X to shake a lot.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well, individual ideas, are how we survive, but

--How do you figure on-aesthetically-sealing the (18)?? holes that will be left ????

--It definately would look THINNER--Your call--

·
on line
809 Posts
you will have 28 holes in your roof that will not be easy to seal up without looking funky. The 26 captured nuts, along with being prone to stripping, sit about 1/16th of an inch above the roof line and are not sealed around their edge. The 4 sunken bolt holes look to be equally unsealed. All of the bolt holes have no bottom, they are tubes to the interior.

I recently had my rack off and do think it give the X a very streamlined look but you would need to visit a body shop to make it really work.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
import silvia said:
you will have 28 holes in your roof that will not be easy to seal up without looking funky. The 26 captured nuts, along with being prone to stripping, sit about 1/16th of an inch above the roof line and are not sealed around their edge. The 4 sunken bolt holes look to be equally unsealed. All of the bolt holes have no bottom, they are tubes to the interior.

I recently had my rack off and do think it give the X a very streamlined look but you would need to visit a body shop to make it really work.

and i thought i was a killjoy......

·
on line
1,054 Posts
the xterra looks naked without the rack, i drove around for a few days without the front air dam and basket, looked real funny.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
If there would be a way to mount a coleman rack on the back elevated end and have a sunroof for the driver and front passenger, I would be all for it.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The roof rack is done, but it's sitting at the guys shop waiting to be picked up. It's been too cold, so once it warms up enough to coat it, I'll go get it. It's only been a year. :)

I sealed the holes in the roof with monkey shit. I have no idea what it's real name it, but it's using in the plumbing industry. It stays soft and doesn't shrink or crack. I filled the front holes in with silicon since I probably won't even use them again.

Personally, I hate the look of the X without the rack. I did gain a little better fuel efficiency after taking it off. However, For the reasons you stated, it wouldn't be worth it. The thing is aluminum and plastic and VERY light. Also when it comes to cross winds, the rack will have no affect. You have to remember, the rack is just a couple small tubes compared to the entire side of the vehicle that can and will catch the wind.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Hell Muzik, Monkey Do, is TOP DOLLAR !!

--It's been used on Submarines ,for well over 70 years and we used it on Nukes, in the 60/70/80's--

--Along with electrical cable, gland nut compression, rubber grommets, it would help isolate/maintain compartment pressure thru Bulkhead tubes,-good caca--

·
on line
254 Posts
Monkey **** is the bomb. Didn’t know what civilians called it and was in the hardware a couple of years ago when a young girl came up and asked me if she could help. I didn’t know how to ask for it without calling it by name so tried to describe it. An older gentleman was listening and smiling, finally he walked over and said yeah Monkey **** follow me. From making an air tight seal through raceways for electrical wiring to a backstop for pellet guns, can’t beat it.

Damn the X somehow isn’t an X without a rack..

·
on line
15,651 Posts
TXterra37 said:
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
If there would be a way to mount a coleman rack on the back elevated end and have a sunroof for the driver and front passenger, I would be all for it.
Yeah dude! And Jason, that rack looks great! Def giving Gobi a run for their money.
I could buy 3 of those racks for the price of a Gobi. :)

There are things about it I don't like, but he built it without having the X there, just the stock roof rack.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It is rust and the rust is staying. I am going to first coat it with Por-15 which actually likes and wants rust. Then I am going to hit it with some form of rattle can. I want it to be black and I want it to have a texture, but I don't want a much texture as herculiner gives. I want to be able to grab it and hold on to put stuff in it. :)

·
on line
612 Posts
POR 15 is an excellent coating. I have used it on three previous vehicles and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It definitely bonds to metal so you shouldn't have to worry about flaking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts