Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some of ya'll know I've been shopping for an X and I really want to purchase one in the next few weeks...getting tired of my current truck, to many problems.

Anyways, I found a few left over '06 4wd Xs in my area; hey are all X model. I'm sure I can get those at a great price cause 1. the dealer will want to get rid of it cause its a '06 and 2. cause its a X model. Now assuming it has the Power Package (power windows, locks, mirrors, cruise, keyless entry) is it any less than the S model? Cause looking at the brochure thats all it seems to be lacking off the S model. Well besides thde steel wheels...and I've actually been wondering if the dealer would swap wheels for the alloys. Normally I wouldn't bother with the wheel selection but the lack of aftermarket wheels that are sub 18" is hard with the stupid lig pattern.

Anything else different from the X and S models?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I know on the 06, it the differences were the power package, drivers seat and wheels

·
on line
527 Posts
I bought an X model because I knew I was going to pitch the running boards and flaps. I bought S wheels for $300 and the side plastic moldings for $30 or so. Mine came with the power package so for $330 I now have a S model lol with off road badges.

·
on line
1,163 Posts
i got the X and i am planning on doing the power locks/keyless in the near future...and some wheels when its time to replace tires...

·
on line
238 Posts
I couldn't find an offroad model in yellow manual transmission toward the end of the year, so I ended up with the X or S model idea as well.

I ended up with the X model and am modifying the snot out of it with the leftover money. I honestly can't say I miss the differences of the S in the X because the only visible item after owning it for a while are the wheels.

You probably won't get a dealer to give you a good deal or swap on wheels. But, if you check the swap board here there is usually a set or two up there for sale.

·
on line
371 Posts
Turtle said:
I couldn't find an offroad model in yellow manual transmission toward the end of the year, so I ended up with the X or S model idea as well.

I ended up with the X model and am modifying the snot out of it with the leftover money. I honestly can't say I miss the differences of the S in the X because the only visible item after owning it for a while are the wheels.

You probably won't get a dealer to give you a good deal or swap on wheels. But, if you check the swap board here there is usually a set or two up there for sale.
That's exactly what I wanted, and found. I had to fly all the way to Salt Lake City, UT, from Indianapolis, IN and drive it back. Took a couple of days, but it was worth it.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Go for the X. As mentioned, the only real differences (in '06 anyway) were adjustable driver's seat and wheels and tires, assuming you get the power pkg. I was really torn when I bought my X back in Nov whether I should save $4000 and get the X, but in the end, the rear locker and other goodies were too tempting and I bought an OR. The S was a last resort, though.

As for the wheels, I wouldn't try to work that into the deal. Get the best screaming deal you can on the '06 (and that should be a good one... at least a few grand off MSRP since any '06s they have have been on the lot for at least 4 or 5 months when the '07s started rolling in) and get wheels later. They won't give you as much $$$ off if you want wheels too, but there are plenty of guys upgrading who have a set of alloys to get rid of, and you could probably sell the steelies w/o too much trouble.

As for how to buy, e-mail the internet managers in your area and tell them you are looking to buy. Even if they don't have an X, send a quote request for a cheap S just so there is some competition for the other dealer. You will get your best deal if you do your bargaining this way and never set foot thru the door... the IM can give you a lot better deal than any normal salesman ever could. Do a search on the forum about this... I posted a lot of info when I was buying back around Oct (I got $4500 off MSRP w/o ever leaving the house).

IMO, the X w/ power pkg is flat out the best deal on a new SUV, period.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decisions, decisions, decisions....

I was also looking at a 07 KC Frontier 4wd at another dealership and I am 99% certain that I can get a screaming deal on that truck. But I'd really like an X just cause of the space...hmmm. I'm willing to bet I could get a screaming deal on a X model simply cause this internet manager knows I'm serious and willing to buy real soon. Both fit my needs so now its just a toss up between which one I want more. Grrr...you'd think in the 2.5+ months of researching I've done I would have picked one over the other by now.

I have a request for ya'll though, I cruised the picture forum and tried to look for a picture of a stock black or Night Armor X model. If anyone has one and willing to post, I'd be thankful. NNA website sucks for pictures cause they are to freakin' small.

·
on line
280 Posts
This is my Super Black S. I realize it's not the X model but thought it could give you some contrast on the differences between the 2 models. If you remove the side molding, mud flap and step rails, it's basically an X model.

·
on line
280 Posts
And oh yeah, remove the bug guard, which I put on, and which you can barely see. Nice pic when it comes to showing how well it blends into the vehicle!

·
on line
81 Posts
RockyMtnX said:
As for the wheels, I wouldn't try to work that into the deal. Get the best screaming deal you can on the '06 (and that should be a good one... at least a few grand off MSRP since any '06s they have have been on the lot for at least 4 or 5 months when the '07s started rolling in) and get wheels later.

I acutally got a better deal on the '07 then they were trying to give me on the '06. They only had one '06 left on the lot that was an S. But they had about 18 '07 models that just rolled in. Since I was going in for an OR, I was only looking at the 06 if they were going to give me a really great deal on it.

Seems like it all depends what all they have on the lot and what they want to move. Also as someone pointed out, the longer they have a car sitting there the more it is costing them.

·
on line
133 Posts
Only thing the S had over the X I picked up was the adjustable drivers seat and alloy rims.

Had all power, bug gard, flaps, step bars and even came with lockers...

Just kidding on the lockers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts