Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's a fun one. My X likes to randomly lock itself. It's done it when it's off, it's done it when I'm doing 80 down the freeway. It just randomly locks the door. It seems to not do it when the car is off and left alone, so something is probably loose somewhere.

The only thing I've tried so far: I took the battery out of the remote keyfob, and it still does it. (Thought the remote might have shorted out).

I've also observed that if I take the keys out of the ignition while I'm parked, and it locks the doors by itself, the car alarm goes off when I get out. Annoying as hell, but that tells me that the two lock/unlock buttons in the cab are probably fine. If one of those was shorting out, then the car alarm would not go off when I opened the door.

Next I'm going to track down the remote transponder and unplug it, see if it does anything. Beyond that, I can't think of anything else to try. I've got 7k miles on it (07 OR MT), so it's still under warrantee. I just want to have some ammo when I go into the dealership with it.

Any ideas? I'm more just venting at the moment. I don't really want to take it in, because I don't want to have to deal with a rental car. I live right next to Aspen, and need 4x4 or snow tires to get home. Pain in the butt.

How about some eye candy for the post:

·
on line
3,331 Posts
My friends sisters jeep turns the lights on and off.. sometimes in the middle of the night. One time I was house sitting and I thought someone was breaking into her car so I ran out the front door with a baseball bat screaming my head off and turns out the car is just possessed. I think its a malfunctioning automatic headlight switch or something. Different but equally bizarre.

·
on line
191 Posts
My 1st car, a raging bucket of HP known as a chevy cavalier, would turn its windshield wipers on and change the radio at random. Damn Gremilins.

·
on line
564 Posts
David...take it to the dealer...sorry dude!

BIGTOM...sweet avi dude!

Rob

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The picture is muddy ice. I took it in Georgetown, Colorado after driving for a hundred or so miles through the snow. The road is warm enough to be wet, so it road-sprays up onto everything, but the body of the car is colder than the road and the spray freezes to it. Kind of a strange freezing rain. I've had it happen a few times.

Yea, I'm going to suck it up and take it to the dealer next week.

·
on line
113 Posts
Did you happen to get any water on your drivers door armrest where the power window and door lock switches are? On my old fronty i had cracked my windows and even with the vent visors a torrential downpour got in and drenched the switch cluster. The door locks were opening and closing on their own and the windows wouldnt go up or down right. I took out the switch cluster and dried it with a heat gun....no problem after that.

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, not that, when the doors lock, it's from the exterior, as it sets the car alarm. Everything works fine, locking, unlocking, windows. Just randomly locks itself.

I was in at the dealer to have them look at the transmission (getting a rattling noise on heavy acceleration that goes away when the clutch is pushed in slightly) and had them look at the locks. They reset the computer. Surprisingly, it has not done it since. Knock on wood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts