Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, I have a 2008 Off Road Edition. Looking for tips on trouble shooting, need to get the Xterra back on the road!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine will turn over but wont start, Started with the ECM then the IPDM and still the same issue, if you spray a bit of starting fluid in the intake will fire up 50% of the time and run fine. Start back up etc, but once cold will just turn over.

When running all works so dont think its a fuel pump.

With new IPDM the Slip Light stays on in the Dash. (when running)

Also in need of a new Mass Air Flow Sensor.

I did start a thread in the power train category.

Thanks for any help you can provide. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
496 Posts
A bad MAF sensor will definitely mess up the fuel delivery, if it's off and does not sense air flow it won't deliver fuel...maybe when you get the starter fluid in there it gets the motor going enough to generate enough airflow for the sensor to register and begin delivering fuel. As far as the IDPM and slip light, I have no immediate ideas. If it wasn't installed correctly or was faulty out of the box, you could have fuel delivery problems as well. How do you know the MAF is bad?

·
on line
2,239 Posts
Slip light will be on until it is driven and the steering angle sensor learns straight again. Normal after power is removed.

MAF controls fuel delivery. Melted? No point at touching anything else until that is fixed. You will be throwing even more money away working on anything else until that is fixed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All has been done due to a certified mechanic recommendations, which has got me nowhere and have a bigger mess.... so thats why I asked on here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
negative, I am wondering what would cause the problems I am having. Please read the entire post..... Every post I have read its a ECM or the IPMD... I have replaced both of those and were recommendations from Nissan, seems to be a known issue. The MAF was a aftermath of a local mechanic and starting fluid back fire. MAF is replaced. And still will not start or run. Dont want to go back to that mechanic and looking for help here. I do not live close to a Nissan Dealer trying to avoid a tow if someone else had had the same issue and its a easy fix.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Have you tried pulling codes? Checked for anything obvious. Frayed wires, anything unplugged? What is the mileage? Maint history?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
70k , No Check Engine Light? So No Codes, so I have been told. Been told its a Mechanical issue somewhere...Its always been Nissan Serviced. People are scratching their heads here. I have gone over everything checked all. its the cleanest its ever been, I cant see anything obvious. Checked all fuses etc. Engine will just turn over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree, I thought the starting fluid was a bad idea but I am not a licensed mechanic, the guy got it running twice that way... So that is the strange part. Why would that work and nothing else? and why when it cools off it wont start? Fuel Management? Is there a Primer on the X to get it running?

I replaced the whole IPMD with the new version.... seems like it would be a recall if there is a new version, but nope.... , Nissan said it was just a swap and no need to be re-flashed. I see a tow truck soon...

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Well if it is starting with starting fluid then it seems to be a fuel issue.

You are going to need to check fuel pressure. Check for stored codes anyways. Just because the light is not on does not mean there is not a stored code.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts