Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is currently no X club in the Greater Vancouver area. PNWX is just south of us.
What is the process to go about starting a club? Does anyone have any experience doing this?
Thanks,

·
on line
232 Posts
Generally, a website along with a club bulletin board is a good place to start. There never seemed to be a huge interest for any of our Canadian PNWX members to get a Vancouver club started though. This could be a good chance if you want to start something up. PNWX took it's first couple of Canadian members back in 2001 as a place to hang out until a BC club was formed. The BC club never happened so we just continue to take on BC members. Quite frankly, it's a long way for the BC folks to drive.

·
on line
237 Posts
Mosi said:
Quite frankly, it's a long way for the BC folks to drive.
That just sounds like a polite way of saying we don't want you BC folks in our club!!!! WTF? :geek: (I'm just f*c*#ng with ya)

·
on line
78 Posts
VanX said:
That just sounds like a polite way of saying we don't want you BC folks in our club!!!! WTF? :geek: (I'm just f*c*#ng with ya)
That's not the case. :) Experience over the years has shown that there's some challenge in getting BC members to runs in WA and OR, and it's challenging to get WA and OR members up to BC for runs. Because there have never been a ton of BC members, it's been difficult to get a good turnout for runs up there. Not that it's impossible--just harder.

BC'ers are eligible for membership in PNWX, so don't think that it's just something south of you guys. If we had a few more members in BC, it might be easier to get good runs with a good turnout planned up there. Check out our Web site if you're interested in membership. www.pnwx.net

·
on line
232 Posts
We always consistantly have one BC member that comes down for the Washington runs the rest are just here and there. It is worth it to come down to Washington though since there is some great wheeling there compaired to BC and Oregon.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know if you are required to start a non-profit society, or if you can just get a bunch of people together, become members, and not worry about it.

·
on line
232 Posts
Bueller44 said:
Do you know if you are required to start a non-profit society, or if you can just get a bunch of people together, become members, and not worry about it.
You can pretty much do what you want in the states but I'm not sure about Canada. We ultimately set it up as a non-profit with articles of organization to take the liability aspect out of it. Specificaly it's a 501c non-profit corporation. This means that if someone gets hurt or wrecks their truck during a club outing, they are soley reponsible and can't sue the club. All of our members sign individual contracts that state they know the risks and won't go after the club if they get hurt or damage their truck.

When I first helped put the club together almost 8 years ago, we started with 3 local guys and grew from there. Once it got to the point where we had a lot of members (15-20 I think), we went the legal route.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh Mosi, thanks for the help. I am going to take this on. Hopefully one day we can have PNWX do a run with what ever we can put together up here.

Once I have a website set up, I will post it on here.
Thanks, :cheers:

·
on line
641 Posts
Bueller44 said:
There is currently no X club in the Greater Vancouver area. PNWX is just south of us.
What is the process to go about starting a club? Does anyone have any experience doing this?
I don't have any experience, and I no longer live in Vancouver.

I'd suggest the first step would be to meet with some of the people from one or more of the already established 4x4 clubs in the lower mainland, because they obviously have the experience.

You might also find it easier to start by working with them to organize some "Xterra only" events, so you can see if there is enough interest to consider making a separate club (or an 'affiliated' club under the umbrella of an existing club).

Here's a list of 4x4 clubs in BC:
http://can4x4.com/links/4x4clubs.htm

You might also try talking with the guys at North Shore Off Road, as they obviously have contact with lots of 4x4 owners, and they may also be members of some of the clubs.

As for 'runs down south', I suspect that the interest will be less due to all the hassle since the US made all the changes at the border. The same probably holds true for people coming up from the US to Canada.

·
on line
47 Posts
Thanx for the great list Patton, there's a few for us in the interior to check out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts