Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 SE 2wd, 240,000 miles. I've had a squeaking noise coming from the front end for quite a while now. Just rebuilt the front end, tie rods, ball joints, bushings , etc.
Wife recently read that it was the lil rubber hood bumpers. Replaced 2 of them. Last one is on the way. The middle one I adjusted out as far as far as it would go.
None of this helped. The squeaking noise is still there. It never sounded like suspension squeal to be honest. I sounds like something jiggling.
Any suggestions? This is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Place a felt pad atop your hood bumpers and go for a drive.
If the noise changes you have found your culprit.

Another tip is to slowly drive down an area known to cause the noise your hearing.

If the noise is present, repeat and pop your hood release.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Had a squeak that had be baffled for weeks. I finally traced it to the area under my airbox. I found it by looking at the engine bay and shook things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been chasing a clunk in my 05 for weeks now, also just replaced everything. Been told by a few guys on here and Reddit to consider the rubber body mounts. Gonna change them all over the winter and will report, but I'm hopeful. Seems right that 15 (or 13) year old rubber might be the source.

·
Registered
158 Posts
if you just want the noise to go away, I'd spray any suspension part that moves inc body mounts. If you want to pinpoint the noise start at one wheel and test-drive to see if the noise goes away ect. Squeaks & Creaks from exhaust can be a pia.

·
on line
205 Posts
If you think it might be your hood latch, try some electrical tape on the u-shaped bar that slides into the latch. My hood squeak was horrendous for a long time, and I tried spraying the latch, adjusting the mechanism, and adjusting the hood bumpers. I pretty much gave up on trying to resolve it u til I finally saw someone suggest the tape fix on here. The tape made the hood absolutely silent and I haven’t heard it since. I’m sure I’ll have to replace it eventually, but that tape has been in for about a year now with no issues.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think i have it figured out and I AM NOT HAPPY about it. I believe it is the lower control arm bushings. When I rebuilt the front end i wasn't able to do the lower control arm bushings. No torch and nothing to properly press the old ones out or new ones in. Now I am going to have to tear it apart AGAIN and get what i need to actually do the bushings. This wouldn't be SO bad except it will be ANOTHER $100 for an alignment. so pissed right now.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If you think it might be your hood latch, try some electrical tape on the u-shaped bar that slides into the latch. My hood squeak was horrendous for a long time, and I tried spraying the latch, adjusting the mechanism, and adjusting the hood bumpers. I pretty much gave up on trying to resolve it u til I finally saw someone suggest the tape fix on here. The tape made the hood absolutely silent and I haven’t heard it since. I’m sure I’ll have to replace it eventually, but that tape has been in for about a year now with no issues.

this! I did this, except it was some really think black tape, like 3x as thick as regular electrical tape, no idea what its called or where it came from. about every year or so it gets worn through to the metal and i replace it. that along with felt pads on top of the hood bump stops stopped the hood squeaking.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I think i have it figured out and I AM NOT HAPPY about it. I believe it is the lower control arm bushings. When I rebuilt the front end i wasn't able to do the lower control arm bushings. No torch and nothing to properly press the old ones out or new ones in. Now I am going to have to tear it apart AGAIN and get what i need to actually do the bushings. This wouldn't be SO bad except it will be ANOTHER $100 for an alignment. so pissed right now.

so, it MAY not need an alignment, but probably would be best. the old lca and bolts can be cut out, then a new lca swapped right in, shouldnt need to press anything in. new lca's are pretty cheap new or used and should come with the bushings mounted. you will just need new bolts if you cut the old ones out.

·
on line
246 Posts
Sorry to hear that you will have to tear into it again. Before you do, have a good look at the front shocks, especially the bushings at the bottom end. The Factory Service Manual has some heights for the top of the wheel arch so you can tell if the springs have sagged and need to be replaced.

Afterward, go to Firestone to get the alignment done. They offer lifetime alignment for $200 which is just over going twice. If you do replace the springs, you should go back and get the alignment redone after the springs settle in.

I just finished replacing all 4 shocks because the bushings at the bottom of the front ones were worn and were squeaking on any small bump. I got KYB's from Rock Auto. It was cheaper and easier to get the whole coil-over assembly. Disassemble one corner at a time unless you can afford to go without your X for several days. One of coil-over assemblies was assembled incorrectly so I returned it and got a replacement. When the top end was aligned, the bottom end was twisted relative to the bracket on the control arm. None of the coil compressors from Harbor Freight or that the auto parts stores had for loan would fit between the coils. I ended up using some scraps of plywood, the old coil-over and the old bottom bolt to make a jig to ensure that the replacement coil-over would fit before I tore the other side apart.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Pso.

When time allows, please start a new topic and share your opinion of your new KYB shocks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I second that - mine stays quiet for 6-8 months. Now I can hear the other noises. :-O

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those rubber bumpers under the hood made me crazy for months! I did the felt pad trick and it would work for a few days but come right back. The problem wasn't where the bumper rubs the radiator support. The squeak was coming from the threads on the rubber bumper where it screws into the hood. Mark where they need to be then back them out and squeeze a little clear silicone on them and screw them back into position and throw the felt pad on for good measure. I haven't had a squeak in years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those rubber bumpers under the hood made me crazy for months! I did the felt pad trick and it would work for a few days but come right back. The problem wasn't where the bumper rubs the radiator support. The squeak was coming from the threads on the rubber bumper where it screws into the hood. Mark where they need to be then back them out and squeeze a little clear silicone on them and screw them back into position and throw the felt pad on for good measure. I haven't had a squeak in years.
Thanks for this - I'm going to try it, I've replaced the bumpers, tried the felt pads, readjusted the latch multiple times. Each fix lasts a day or two, but I never thought of lubing the bumpers themselves. The squeak in my 2013 makes me nuts. The 2010 with nearly twice the miles drives as quiet as the day I got it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts