Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it says I'm looking to buy a Southco locking handle for converting my wetbox handle to lock. Yeah yeah yeah I've read all the old threads I'm aware there was a group buy like a decade ago and that you could buy it from some place called Austin hardware. You no longer can as far as I can tell, I checked their site. You can get it form the Southco site for about $70 shipped. I thought I'd check if anyone has one for sale or knows somewhere I can get it cheaper before I pull the trigger. Thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brunnie. I see you went through the same thing and snagged a good one. I'm hoping for the black one but I will consider that as an option, ultimately I'll never look at it and won't care about the color and it's a bit cheaper than the black one at current price (although still kind of expensive at $54 shipped).

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I got a brand new chrome one sitting at home. Won't be installing it anytime soon.
$45 shipped next day so you can spend your July 4th installing it lol.

Let me know. Text me your addy (408) 507-2769.

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Could you link a brother?
Just go to ebay and type in southco handle in search. I recommend going to the bottom immediately and setting it to "view 200 items per page" and then just scroll through until you see something that looks correct. I actually was able to snag the exact right one yesterday for a local xterra buddy after mentioning the chrome t-handle ones and doing some more searching. I say look for something that looks right, not the part numbers bc the majority of the people on there don't do the part # correctly. This is the one I grabbed.."southside"? LOL. it popped up in "southco handle" search though. I did message seller and confirm it was a 92, though I was pretty sure after looking at the pictures.

The chrome t-handle ones I mentioned i went ahead and messaged seller for you as well this was the response....

I still think he has it wrong and it will work (maybe) but he seems pretty cool about returns, other than you might have to pay return shipping (if you end up ordering one of these from him and it won't work and you have to return it, PM me, I'll mail you some postage so you don't lose any money). FWIW.. I decoded the southco part #'s. basically, as long as you get one with a short pawl, it will work. you can hack the shaft bolt off. You might could even make one with a long pawl work by using your current pawl, but I never tried that. I do know and did confirm that one's that turn the opposite way work, that's what I have on my rig currently.
this post decodes the part numbers. wait & search fleabay long enough, you'll find one for $20 or less. the guy i bought that one 92 from, I asked if he had anymore and he said he'd been trying to sell that one for 6 months. I haven't searched in awhile apparently as I usually try to keep an eye on fleabay on these for people. but the point is you can eventually find a cheap one on there if you wait long enough. FWIW, I NEVER keep mine even locked hardly. When I go to to the river & float (which is frequent in summer) I put my keys up in mine. 99% of people don't even know it's there unless they have an xterra. I keep about $300 of custom straps and chains in mine, but I get wanting the peace of mind knowing you can lock it if you want.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just go to ebay and type in southco handle in search. I recommend going to the bottom immediately and setting it to "view 200 items per page" and then just scroll through until you see something that looks correct. I actually was able to snag the exact right one yesterday for a local xterra buddy after mentioning the chrome t-handle ones and doing some more searching. I say look for something that looks right, not the part numbers bc the majority of the people on there don't do the part # correctly. This is the one I grabbed.."southside"? LOL I did message seller and confirm it was a 92.

. View attachment 128324

The chrome t-handle ones I mentioned i went ahead and messaged seller for you as well this was the response....
View attachment 128325

I still think he has it wrong and it will work (maybe) but he seems pretty cool about returns, other than you might have to pay return shipping (if you end up ordering one of these from him and it won't work and you have to return it, PM me, I'll mail you some postage so you don't lose any money). FWIW.. I decoded the southco part #'s. basically, as long as you get one with a short pawl, it will work. you can hack the shaft bolt off. You might could even make one with a long pawl work by using your current pawl, but I never tried that. I do know and did confirm that one's that turn the opposite way work, that's what I have on my rig currently.
this post decodes the part numbers. wait & search fleabay long enough, you'll find one for $20 or less. FWIW, I NEVER keep my even locked hardly. When I go to to the river & float (which is frequent in summer) I put my keys up in mine. 99% of people don't even know it's there unless they have an xterra. I keep about $300 of custom straps and chains in mine, but I get wanting the peace of mind knowing you can lock it if you want.
Thanks very much for your detailed response. No worries about the postage thing but I appreciate the kindness. Yeah, my plan is to just keep some camping gear and some recovery gear up there, and I'd rather just have it locked for that little extra piece of mind since it's my daily driver, and I don't have a garage to park in either (apartment parking stall), though generally I'm not worried about things like that, like you it sounds. For the price I figure why not. I will check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts