Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured i could use some skids yet can't afford schrockworks. The stock ones would be better then nothing. Anyone got some?

·
on line
3,272 Posts
you can get a pretty good deal for them at courtesy nissan or yournissanparts.com. some are as cheap as 15.00.

·
on line
874 Posts
yea but are they worth it??? I am looking at gettin skids too....I am not gotin to get off road often but Id like to be protected...I dont think i need the schrock skids but they say the the oem's are crap I want an opinion from a person who has em

·
on line
2,459 Posts
OEM's are definitely weak. But what can you expect for $15 a piece when 'quality' ones cost $80+ each.

I paid $16 a piece for mine from my dealership. And for that price you could always get 2 and just double them up. :)

·
on line
874 Posts
is that what you did?? I was thinking becase i wont be goin off road that often, are the oems fine?, and I was going to do a bedliner spray on them

·
on line
3,272 Posts
if you aren't going off road, why get them? if it is just for peace of mind, the dealer skids are fine and inexpensive.

i have a mix of shrock and oem skids and i did what cornick suggested and just bought two to double them up.

·
on line
874 Posts
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
if you aren't going off road, why get them? if it is just for peace of mind, the dealer skids are fine and inexpensive.

i have a mix of Shrockworks and oem skids and i did what cornick suggested and just bought two to double them up.
updated my previous question....I will be going off road, jsut not that often, I would like to be protected when i do go....

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Yeller_X said:
Which skids did you get? Did you do the entire undercarraige? Which skids are the most vital?
Lets get it out of the way that these skids are very thin and not even in the same area code as shrock stuff. So with that said, I got the Transfer Case Skid Plate and the Engine Skid Plate. I doubled them both up and so far so good. I decided to go with Jim for the gas tank skid because it made of plastic and I got a little nervous.

I also plan to get the front bumper in January so I did not purchase the front engine skid either.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
as for wondering if they are worth it, i think you get what you pay for. you might be able to save a few dollars by trying to find some used ones from somebody but for under 20 bucks, i would just go new. that is just me though. since shrock isnt an option due to price, these are better than nothing.

·
on line
874 Posts
you hit my point exactly...I dont plan to do allot of off roading but having a plastic tank makes me nervous. I am just worried that the few times i will go off road a year Ill have an puncture of the tank....

·
on line
3,272 Posts
honestly dude, you just gotta check the bottom line. if you can't afford shrock, but you can afford dealer parts, then go with the dealer skids. if you CAN afford shrock, then get shrock since it will grant you more peace of mind to actually enjoy your off roading. you know?

·
on line
62 Posts
Well, I can tell you that after recently removing my engine skid to do and oil cahnge, I have come to the conclusion the side windows are stronger than the stock tinfoil skids. I'm surprised there are no dents from hitting bugs at freeway speed.

I guess after having 3/16" & 1/4" skids on my Jeep I expected more on the Nissan.

Vince

1 - 13 of 13 Posts