Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know I live in NM, but I am posting this since my off road trailer is up in Salem right now. I want to put some Xterra wheels on that guy so I can use em as spares so I am hoping someone might have a set of Nissan wheels lying around. I have the standard S style wheels, so matching would be ideal, but not a deal breaker. Need 3, but if all 4 must go, then so be it!

Let me know,

thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
well, I have your S wheels sitting in my basement and they still have factory tires on them with i believe around 30k on them. However, I am columbus, Ohio. Not sure this helps you. I was going to use the wheels for a second set of tires but they haven't moved in 2 years.....

·
on line
10,980 Posts
what bolt pattern are the hubs on your trailer? I have yet to find any trailer hubs with 6 on 4.5" pattern but I haven't looked that hard either.
This ... I have looked that hard. Unless the trailer axle was custom made to have a 6 on 4.5" hub, you're probably going to have to run adapters on the trailer axle ... and if it's more than about a 2-3.5k# axle, you're going to want to double check the spindle diameter and hub bore on the adapter ... on the really beefy axles (like the 6k# ones sometimes used for the bigger, enclosed offroad trailers) the hub bore needed on an adapter precludes that adapter going onto the spindle of the axle and sitting flush to the axle's WMS; e.g. the max available diameter for the adapter hub bore, to get down to a 6 on 4.5" BCD for the wheel and still leave enough wall thickness in the middle, is smaller than the OD of the spindle housing on the axle. This means you either need to scrap the adapter idea, or use an adapter with stepped or tapered hub bore ... or with marginal wall thicknesses for the wheel mount studs. Oh, and that says nothing of the trailer brake clearance, or wheel/tire to frame clearance ...

Just be mindful that it's not necessarily a slam dunk that the stock Xterra wheels will be able to fit, even with adapters, is all I'm saying. It may already be stuff you're thinking of, but just in case it's not, I'd hate to see you bitten by a surprise. I have yet to see a commercially available trailer axle (off-the-shelf) that's made to a 6 on 4.5" wheel pattern.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys-- you are both right: as it stands it is not a 6 bolt pattern. Looking at information online, I was under the impression that a 6 bolt hub can be ordered for the Dexter 3500lb axle. I guess the offset is the only major concern...and bearing fitment.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
phoenixing the thread but could go from a 6x5 to a 6x4.5 with some adapters? i may do this with my trailer, found 4 steelies really cheep in town and may try doing this
Re-read my longer post above ... definitely possible, likely even probable, but not necessarily a slam-dunk.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Re-read my longer post above ... definitely possible, likely even probable, but not necessarily a slam-dunk.
true. with the trip i have planed next year across country and though the southwest, i think it would be worth the effort for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts