Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think one of my side bearing came loose and while attempting an obstacle on a recent wheeling trip I busted my gears. I am not too bummed because this basically gave me the excuse to re-gear and get my ARB installed sooner. (If I have to replace the housing I will be bummed though)

·
on line
1,417 Posts
The bearing caps are line bored with the housing, they are a matched set. Brutal already told you that in the linked thread. You need a new housing. But since you are re-gearing you may have better luck finding an M205 with the 2.94(?) gearing rather than the 3.36 needed for an Off-Road match.

Jeff

·
on line
22,508 Posts
The bearing caps are line bored with the housing, they are a matched set. Brutal already told you that in the linked thread. You need a new housing. But since you are re-gearing you may have better luck finding an M205 with the 2.94(?) gearing rather than the 3.36 needed for an Off-Road match.

Jeff
I'll x4 this in case the o.p. needs convincing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up just getting a whole new diff. It was a much more expensive upgrade than I had planned. I think what happened was I didn't check the passenger side bearing in the first diff I bought last year, and I think it was loose which allowed my gears to slip and then grenade.

But with a new diff, 4.56 gears and the locker all good to go, I'm ready for Gone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For those who asked what happened, I was on a steep loose obstacle when busted the gears. I was pretty careful not to over do it because I busted my driveline and a cv last time I attempted that obstacle, but I guess I wasn't careful enough. I really do think my bearing wad loose because I didn't really spin a tire excessively or bounce at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts