Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2005 xterra SE 4x4. Looking for the 3.69 front diff gears, to match a rear Offroad axle.
I'm in Salem OR.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you think it may be cheaper sourcing a used front diff with that gearing? Unless you're doing the regearing yourself, you can save yourself the trouble and probably some cash and buy a used diff. Infact, there's an ebay seller offering a brand new diff for $500 currently with that gearing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
For the cost of gears, I'd look in to doing titan diff swap. The titan diff will be geared to match and it's much stronger.

·
TNX Veteran
4,394 Posts
For the cost of gears, I'd look in to doing titan diff swap. The titan diff will be geared to match and it's much stronger.
There is no such thing as an off-the-shelf Titan diff with 3.69 gears. Titans never came with a manual transmission. I don't think aftermarket 3.69 exists either.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There is no such thing as an off-the-shelf Titan diff with 3.69 gears. Titans never came with a manual transmission. I don't think aftermarket 3.69 exists either.
I see how my post is misleading.To clarify, the cost to merely regear would not be worthwhile to me without getting the upgraded titan front diff as well. I have different gearing so mine matched the titan front diff.Albatross may not always be right, but he usually is.
I can only find titan rear diff gear sets in 3.69
But If they have 3.69 for the rear diff, logic would lead me to believe they have 3.69 for the front titan diff as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well looks like you are right again. I can not find anything for 3.69 for the titan front diff. Why the heck can I find 3.69 for the rear diff but nothing in that gearing for the front?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well looks like you are right again. I can not find anything for 3.69 for the titan front diff. Why the heck can I find 3.69 for the rear diff but nothing in that gearing for the front?
More than likely just relabelled Xterra gears for 3.69 for a Titan. Idk why they would do that, but 3.69 gearing does not exist for a titan front diff so yeah makes no sense to me either. Closest is 3.73. I wish they did though, as many people who are doing the 3.69 m226 swap would be ecstatic about it. I know I would be, since I'm in the middle of doing a 3.69 swap myself

·
Registered
227 Posts
For the OP though this is an important point, if he grabs a 205 with 3.73 gears he can re-gear the m226 relatively cheap to 3.73. Won't even have to do a T-Swap, can throw some V8 pathfinder CV's in and call it good.

It is an option and if you throw in axle seals & bearings pretty much bulletproof for another 200K for diffs & axles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For the OP though this is an important point, if he grabs a 205 with 3.73 gears he can re-gear the m226 relatively cheap to 3.73. Won't even have to do a T-Swap, can throw some V8 pathfinder CV's in and call it good.

It is an option and if you throw in axle seals & bearings pretty much bulletproof for another 200K for diffs & axles.
If he was willing to re-gear everything for marginal power gain, sure. Regearing front and back gets expensive, as m205s do not come factory in 3.73. Those are the closest gears you can buy aftermarket and install. Highest gearing factory in a m205 is 3.36. But I assume his goal is 3.69 as a way to get lower gearing at a value.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I didn't realize the 3.73 gears were only aftermarket. You learn something every day.

Well yeah, buy a junkyard or T-swap pulled R180a with 3.69 or re-gear. Those gears cost a mint at Rugged Rocks.

Good luck OP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts