Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 days old...Rearended...10,000k in damage...SOLID TRUCK.. The guy who hit me,(Short little bastard, couldnt see over windshield filled with cups and papers..) his chey van ,The ENTIRE front axle ripped off and one tire was Gone!No injuries,except my X..Looks like NO frame damage..Leaf springs Collapsed but AC shackles ,not even a scratch..Collision guy ewas impressed with it,and it was his first wrecked new x and could not believe the damage was most sosmetic and little structure..NO, they wont total it...Bad shots but damage went to front..My sideview passanger window went thru his windshield! Notice the "Bent shackle" and the little twist on the right u-bolt..

Heres the worst part..They charged me with the accident!!!!!500 feet from my house,same intersection as i have carefully procceeded thru for years..And as i pulled out into turn lane ,he drifted from the right ,on his cell phone ,and smashed into us,,..I got failure to give right of way..

By the way,before you talk to insurance company,even with USSA insurance,those of you who are lucky enough to have, they wont cover certain 'After Market " componets..Will find more out today.

·
on line
551 Posts
WOW!
Glad no one was hurt. Vehicles can be replaced/fixed, people can't.
The X took the hit, and if the frame held, then repair shouldn't be a problem.
This is the second wreck I've seen where the X has held up very well.
I'd fight the ticket though.

·
on line
134 Posts
Ouch, that sucks. We we rear ended last summer by a 25ft moving van but only did about $5K in damage. Not nearly as bad as yours though as none of the glass even broke. Continued to drive the truck for about a 2 weeks before we got it into the shop.

Your right about insurance and aftermarket parts. Usually they only pay to return the truck to stock using OEM parts. Of course you may be able to just have them cut you a check and then you work with the body shop to have the aftermarket parts put on. Trouble is they usually wont release a vehicle that isnt road worthy and if your aftermarket parts take months to come in your paying for storage. I was going to get a Shrock rear bumper out of my accident but with the extended wait it just wasnt going to happen.

Good luck! USAA is a great company in my opinion and I've been dealing with their insurance for years now.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Glad everyone is ok. I have heard some insurance companies paying for aftermarket upgrades as long as you have proof of purchase.

Either way, good luck.

·
on line
463 Posts
Really sorry that you got hit.
Really glad that no one was injured !

Jim B

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Yeah, bum deal man. Hopefully everything works out with your insurance in the end. Sorry.

·
on line
22 Posts
Dude!

DUDE!!!

GET AN ATTORNEY...

Everyone hates them until you need one, but find a good junkyard dog, he will sue the township for having incompetent LEO's...

Good Luck...

fastbrake

·
on line
246 Posts
Re: Dude!

Fastbrake said:
DUDE!!!

GET AN ATTORNEY...

Everyone hates them until you need one, but find a good junkyard dog, he will sue the township for having incompetent LEO's...

Good Luck...

fastbrake
This county is sue happy as it is. Our premiums would be so much less if it weren’t for the ambulance chasers and the deadbeats who fake injury. If there is a legitimate reason to sue then go for it, but just because you want some easy cash is not a good reason. I would definitely fight the ticket though. A lot of the times, at leased here in Tampa, the officers don’t feel like going to court and the ticket is thrown out.

A little off topic, but what muffler tip do you have? How wide and tall is it? How does (did) your exhaust sound inside?

How you feeling the day after?

·
on line
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome group!!Only here can you get sympathy from some fanatics and then a muffler question!!

Its an IMCO exhaust and the tip was a gift from my muffler guy..The sound is less than some would want,i.e. the flowmaster guys and perhaps the magnaflow..But the drone is less and with the KnN it sounds tough..Plus the tip looks cool and thats all that really matters!!

As far as court and lawsuit..Thats my first response,the sad truth is no matter how shitty it was for this guy to drive how he did..he was "Within" the law..He has the right to switch lanes ANYTIME he sees fit,even with a car hanging out trying to cross...Karma man!!!It will come around!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v459/captandy/7.bmp

·
on line
2,081 Posts
I speak from experience that Sueing isn't worth it unless there are injuries, or the other guy isn't insured and you can sue him personally - rather than his insurance co.

My wife got rear ended 2 years ago next week and we are still fighting with Farmers insurance for the medical bills. Theypaid for her car to be fixed and the other chick who rear ended her got a ticket etc. Not even arguing over liability, they are simply arguing that my wife should not have saught medical attention. We went to arbitration and the arbitrator awarded us 2x medical bills, which came to $12k. They waited until the last day to appeal the decision. Now we have to go to trial, which they can also appeal when the judge awards in our favor. Might be another 2 years before we see a penny.

That sucks dude. Shame they won't total it. I always think 'Resale Value' when I see that much damage to a car that they won't total.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
That sucks man! Glad everyone is alright.

I know my Insurance company Gieco sends out questioniares every year to inquire about your mods. I have yet to send one back.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Oh he did the switch from the right lane to the left lane maneuver? Actually by law in most states you should/shall not switch lanes within 100 feet of an intersection. In the mechanics of driving, this is why the lane lines go from stripes to solid near the intersection so as to designate that 100 feet where you will not be permitted to switch lanes. (As if anyone pass any attention to this) The 100 Ft may be deviated from depending on the speed limit, It may be longer in higher zones and slightly shorter in lower zones. It's all about reaction time. Now that I said this you will notice it. And.... even if the lines are not solid, still, no lane changes within 100 ft of an intersection and the reason is, because it may cause an accident. Hold your lane. And when turning or approaching an intersection Expect a right turning vehicle to turn into the right lane and Hold BY LAW for 100 feet. A left turning vehicle will turn into left lane and also HOLD for 100 Feet before changing lanes. OK, Off my Soap Box. My pet peeve, people who don't do what is expected of them while driving. MC

·
on line
2,081 Posts
usmc xterra said:
My pet peeve, people who don't do what is expected of them while driving. MC
You'd love it down here in AZ then - with all the illegal immigrant drivers who don't know how to drive for shit and can't even tell Red from Green at a traffic light - yet alone get in the right lane :)

·
on line
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Rinky..I bet you smiled when you read this one..LOL..Good news,my "Bull Bar rod holders " made it thru the crash!! Just kiddin" brother,Things are tough in fla. as well with that...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well I think we got a smile out of the Capt. Keep us posted on the progress. Hope it is painless, smooth and quick. (Although I should know better... my father in law works at Caddy as Painter and they still had to wait on parts to come in.) MC

·
on line
2,081 Posts
captandy said:
Thanks Rinky..I bet you smiled when you read this one..LOL..Good news,my "Bull Bar rod holders " made it thru the crash!! Just kiddin" brother,Things are tough in fla. as well with that...
Nope - wouldn't be so evil as to smile at a fellow X owners misfortune. Hope they get you back on the road soon - Rod holders and all.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Glad to hear the Captain is ok. And I do hope the truck is brought fully back to life. Good luck with your insurance. MC was spot on with lane changes near intersections, the thing to be careful about is in the wording of the law:

To wit: In CO the law states a vehicle turning left must yield to all on coming traffic. Even if they run a stop light flew out of the rising sun, stopped and started again or whatever.

So make sure your laws don't have some stupid clause like this one.

Again good luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts