Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought GOODYEAR wrangler MTR 275/70/17 and mounted them this sunday. the car feels a tad sluggish at everything. there is a lil lag when turning.... and at first the car did seem to "yaw" as someone had sed. it felt pretty dangerous. to keep it simple, i feels like your offroad on some sport tires. my gas mileage went down about 1.5-2 mpg. THATS ALL HIGHWAY. i drive 100 miles a day. riverside to whittier. the 1.5-2 is what the trip meter says, but i know that im doing a little better becuase im actually going faster than i really am. OFFROAD is where these tires come to life. they tackled everything i threw at it so far, mostly sand and mud, rocks will be this weekend. offroad, THEY FEEL LIKE azenis on hot pavement....
i still dont know if i like this tire. looks damn good though

·
on line
123 Posts
how bout a pic? :bounce:

·
on line
259 Posts
What you are experiencing is pretty much expected. That's the result from switching from 256/65 (about a 31") to a 275/70 (about 32.5") and from going from highway tires to mud-terrains. I've experienced that also, when I went from a 31" AT to a 33" MT on my old LandCruiser.

But relax, there's hope. You'll learn how to add lead to your control loop and feed forward the steering command. Sorry for the Control Systems lingo here. The only thing you can't fix is the milage... well you can always put the white letters facing out.

:cheers:

·
on line
72 Posts
We get this email alot at the mag. People hate the fact that when they go to a larger tire size with a much more aggresive tread are losing that stock drive comfort and mpg. Well.. just use some common sense here and all your questions are answered :)

No matter what vehicle you are talking about going to a larger tire is always going to reduce gas mileage, increase wear and tear and kill some of that smooth comfortable stock feel. What you have to do is think about what you are gaining with a Goodyear MTR tire. You are getting a much better offroad tire thats going to be long lasting and will wear well if you rotate and keep the air pressure up regularly.

About the only thing you to do with regards to keeping your MPG as best as it can be with the new tires is keep the air pressure up and check it weekly.

Jordan

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I'll second that one. I took my BFG AT 285 75's off and put the stock tire and rim on for the crap salt roads. (To preserve the rims) Well, MPG went way up. But everything else went down, I nearly wrecked the dag gone thing on roads at AT would eat up. (Going slow I might add)
I figure I am saving about 5 Gallons a week in gas. But I could have cost myself several hundred dollars worth of body damage had I slid into that ditch. But next time I'll go with the smaller AT's. MC

·
on line
807 Posts
ahnyoungboi3 said:
i bought GOODYEAR wrangler MTR 275/70/17 and mounted them this sunday. the car feels a tad sluggish at everything. there is a lil lag when turning.... and at first the car did seem to "yaw" as someone had sed. it felt pretty dangerous. to keep it simple, i feels like your offroad on some sport tires. my gas mileage went down about 1.5-2 mpg. THATS ALL HIGHWAY. i drive 100 miles a day. riverside to whittier. the 1.5-2 is what the trip meter says, but i know that im doing a little better becuase im actually going faster than i really am. OFFROAD is where these tires come to life. they tackled everything i threw at it so far, mostly sand and mud, rocks will be this weekend. offroad, THEY FEEL LIKE azenis on hot pavement....
i still dont know if i like this tire. looks damn good though
Just remember that you cannot judge your MPG drop from the MPG display or the trip meter due to the taller tires. The drop probably is not as significant as you think it is.

·
on line
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx guys....but i didn't have any questions....i already knew this stuff....im just postin so that others would know about this tire.... but thanx for the input guys.....dang...i need to get some money to i can start on the titan suspeension swap....

the tires seem to be wearing in now. ... mpg went from 14.8 => 15.6 and the car seems to be more stable.... i guess the slick surface has worn off....the tires are getting louder as well.....

BUT IT LOOKS AND FUNCTIONS DAMN GOOD OFFROAD....ill post some pics this weekend..... if anyone is in southern CA and want to let me know....ill be goin somewhere by mt.high.....its called cleghorn

·
on line
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so im in class and i didnt want to listen to the lecture....i calculated the difference in speed. going from a 30.6 inch tire(stock SE) to a 32.2 (275/70/17) inch tire will make your speed off by 5%... so if your speedo is reading 80mph, your actual speed is 84mph, if your traveling 15.5 mpg then your actual mileage is 16.2mpg.....

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I've love to get 14 mpg with the stock tires ... I'm averaging 12-13 mpg due to city traffic driving light-to-light.

·
on line
197 Posts
Were you able to fit these without a lift or trimming on the SE? Am debating my options for a better tire than the Long Trails. The SE has a 17x7.5 rim, using 265/65-17 tires. Toying with a 265/70-17 which will be about a 1" diameter increase (30.6 to 31.5). The 275/70-17 is listed at 32.4" on tirerack.com. Will the jump from 30.6 to 32.4 cause any problems?

Thanks

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts