Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a trip for work was gone 15 days.
I was surprised when I had to jump the car coming back ( click, click, click no start).
Battery less than 18 months old. This is the battery:

Right after the jump the car went on a 300+ mile trip so i thought it would be fine especially since AGM cell batteries are supposed to not have big issues with longevity after being fully drained.
But in the past week I noticed when the car had sat over a weekend the instead of click-grr-vroom it went click-grr-grr-grr-vroom.
Clearly struggling a bit for anyone who pays attention.

My alternator is ok I think since no warning lamp for weak alternator and i see it charging with the voltmeter.
This morning some hesitant starting again except this time it had only been sitting about 16hrs.
Its not even cold yet.

So I drove around with the intent to buy another battery ( there are no autozones in the country I live in so no warranty)
But everything was already closed.

Does the hive agree its likely the battery?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Does the hive agree its likely the battery?
No. I would look for a short or a leak of some kind. I would start with the battery posts and the ground connection. I trust the vehicle is regularly washed with a high-pressure hose so as to reduce/eliminate one source of possible shorting.

In the interim, you can always charge it with a 2 Amp trickle charger and then monitor the voltage as it sits or in between drives.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses fellas!

but i dont have the opportunity to put it on a trickle charger for 24 hours and then test it tuesday will be my first time back in civilization with a nissan dealer. until then i could buy a battery or not..
I checked the voltage and it was fine 12.4..
Going without the vehicle for 24 hours will be more expensive to me than going w/ my gut and buying a new battery though.

Compared to previous driving with the voltmeter in the dash I can see the alternator trying to charge this battery near 100% of the time I am driving and i am worried i am running my (much more expensive) alternator ragged.
Its really hard for me to get shop time here..
But buyign abttery and putting it in is easy.

I will wait until Tuesday then before i buy anything when i will be with a dealer...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Imo, I would purchase a 24F sized battery rather than the size 35 your considering.
The 24F is a larger battery and was factory in the 05 Xterras.

It will fit fine in your battery box.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Imo, I would purchase a 24F sized battery rather than the size 35 your considering.
The 24F is a larger battery and was factory in the 05 Xterras.

It will fit fine in your battery box.
I had to look up the 35 size. The 27 is larger than the 24 so I assumed the 35 was even larger. Wrong.

Mind you, the OP's 35 specs look sufficient. See below.

I used to use 27s to run a 52 lb. thrust electric trolling motor and also ran them in the old WD-21 Nissan pathfinder. There is no room in the X for a 27 without modifications.

See: AUTOMOTIVE BATTERY DIMENSIONS

Duralast Platinum Battery 35-AGM Group Size 35 680 CCA

Product Details
No code has to be inserted here.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
$195.00 Duralast Platinum Battery 35-AGM Group Size 35 680 CCA
** 650 cold cranking amps (810 cranking amps) ***. 100 reserve minutes. Warranty consists of 3 years free replacement.

---------------------

$195.00 Duralast Platinum Battery 24F-AGM Group Size 24F 710 CCA.
** 710 Cold cranking amps (885 cranking amps) ***. 120 reserve minutes. Warranty consists of 3 years free replacement.

Considering the same price and the fact the larger battery fits your battery box equally as well, which would you rather have?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Here is an old post regarding batteries which may be of assistance to someone.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update:
So I finally made my way to a Nissan dealer.

Results: Alternator good
Parasitic Drag: None that can be detected.
Battery: needs charge..
the service manager did not want to commit to a for sure "the battery is bad".. he feels to say so for sure he needs to try to charge it for 24hrs ...
...but when pressed he would replace the battery since it seems like we precluded the other two sources and its the only member of the trinity thats acting squirrel.

I want a 24F instead of 35 this time (especially since I can't seem to be able to get a AGM type here)... except thats a SAE norm and no one here knows what size that would be...
So tomorrow i am going to the automotive shop on base to organize a 24F

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Good job. You will definitely notice a difference in how quickly your X starts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good job. You will definitely notice a difference in how quickly your X starts
Yes it does start very nicely now... faster than ever before while i owned it.
I now suspect the battery was weak/bad fom the day I bought it.. but until now I had only operated it in warm temps so I never had a chance to notice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Late to the conversation but its always good to start the car, put a volt meter on the battery, turn on the lights and see that the alternator is ok, putting out 13.0~13.8 volts. I know the gauge inside is telling you its charging but its good to confirm. Glad the new battery is working well!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts