Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
616 Posts
It will not hurt anything but possibly gas mileage. The engine is well protected from over-reving so no worries there.
The auto is good at what it does, so you won't see any performance increase from shifting gears yourself.
-Old Army

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old Army said:
It will not hurt anything but possibly gas mileage. The engine is well protected from over-reving so no worries there.
The auto is good at what it does, so you won't see any performance increase from shifting gears yourself.
-Old Army
I see. Thanks! :)

Another question: Would I see any performance increase if I am passing a vehicle on highway and shift the gear down to 2 and accelerate? I'm assuming I would. :)

·
on line
616 Posts
You can speed things up a few tenths of a second by manually downshifting just prior to passing. If you downshift enough to get the revs just over 3K, you'll save the time it takes the auto to figure out the best gear. Just remember to shift it back to drive as you pass.

Hey you AT owners, does the auto force an upshift if you accelerate up to redline with a gear manually selected?

-Old Army

·
on line
15 Posts
I strongly disagree. My brother in law is a tranny guy and he said the tranny applies more pressure to the 1st gear if you lock it in first as opposed to drive. I could be wrong about this but if tranny's are his specialty I tend to believe what he has to say about them. Besides if D worked good all the time why would nissan give you a choice.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Welcome to the newX.org Everyone's welcome here, even guys with trannys for bro-in-laws. What's wrong with stomping on it in 1 though, is you have to shift up manually when you've reached the limit of that gears range. The Gen2 AT is computer monitored/controlled to exact the most efficient power/torque exchange. You have a choice because, wait. Is that really a serious question?

·
on line
149 Posts
D works good all of the time. perhaps you're racing your xterra next season in the NHRA Pro Stock division and a few hundreths of a second are going to make or break your season.

that's why nissan offers gear choices. professional drag racing.

:thumbleft:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts