Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I tuned my 2005 X using the Bullydog GT on 87 octane tune option. Since then I've been getting 2mpg less than before. Is this typical from other people that have used this tuner?

I had to 'downgrade' the software on my tuner since it kept failing on the 'current' software. I'm not sure if that affects the tune that is applied or not.

I was already getting not great MPG at 16mpg avg and am now down to 14mpg.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
This is opposite of pretty much all my results with the BD. I am running the 93 octane tune (with the gas to match obviously) and have seen large gains on MPGs so far. Even around town it's higher than it was. So far, I've run 3 full tanks since installing the tune and each one has gotten 60 or more miles to the tank than I was getting previously. I'm hesitant to post all the stats on that as I have not tested this for an extended period of time, but 2 of those three tanks of gas were a combination of highway and around town driving.

I have a 2007 and did not have to do any type of software downgrade. Not sure what difference that makes.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It shouldn't have failed on the most up to date software. Did you have a battery charger hooked up while you were trying to install the tune? That can fix a lot of problems; my BD tune won't install/uninstall without a battery charger attached.

You could try uninstalling the tune, updating software again, and re-installing the tune. That might make a difference.

FWIW, my mileage is about the same with a regular 87 octane tune, but the truck drives noticeably better. It's not like a whole different truck, but it makes the X feel "snappier" off the line and through gear changes. I really got the BD for the real-time monitoring capability, the tune is a bonus for me.

@Killswitch, have you noticed any difference in operating temps with the 93 octane tune/gas? I'm wondering about trying this for my upcoming cross-country drive while towing a trailer.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It shouldn't have failed on the most up to date software. Did you have a battery charger hooked up while you were trying to install the tune? That can fix a lot of problems; my BD tune won't install/uninstall without a battery charger attached.

You could try uninstalling the tune, updating software again, and re-installing the tune. That might make a difference.
I'll give that a shot. I didnt have a charger on but I did have a brand new battery and had the radiator fan disconnected so it wouldnt run constantly.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
@Killswitch, have you noticed any difference in operating temps with the 93 octane tune/gas? I'm wondering about trying this for my upcoming cross-country drive while towing a trailer.
No difference in operating temps that I have seen. As far as transmission temps, I wouldn't see much of a difference anyway. I replaced the OEM trans cooler with a B&M cooler and a built in fan. The fan is controlled by a thermostat or, when I feel like it's running warm, I have an override switch. So it rarely ever sees much fluctuation in temps.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I replaced the OEM trans cooler with a B&M cooler and a built in fan. The fan is controlled by a thermostat or, when I feel like it's running warm, I have an override switch. So it rarely ever sees much fluctuation in temps.
Could you point me towards where you got this? Some details perhaps... I noticed last time I towed a trailer, heading uphill my trans was getting pretty hot, so I wanted to add some protection before I tow anything again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm in the same boat as in horrible gas mileage. I'm constantly at 14mpg....I got nismo intake, dt shorty headers, dt b pipes, dyno max y pipe, and the bd 87 tune... And use 93 oct gas with it, cause it'll ping if I don't.... Also 1* in timing .... And I try my best not to romp on her....
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts